My thoughts on S.65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Purpledog said:
I thought the whole reason to get into this job, and it is a job, Skippy, was to work less, get paid more. What has happened to the logic of the profession? You all dumbfound me. At 55, if my butt isn't firmly planted in the sand with a fruity cocktail, I have done something seriously wrong. Repeat after me, work less, paid more, work less, paid more, work less, paid more..............

That about sums it up for many of those I have run across.

I don't get it. How do you get paid more by quiting early?

Purpledog said:
At 55, if my butt isn't firmly planted in the sand with a fruity cocktail, I have done something seriously wrong. .
No doubt. I would rather not live like a rock star and retire earlier. Actually, I would rather live like a rock star AND retire earlier but I am not a CEO so I guess it's one or the other.

How do you get paid more by quiting early?
You get paid more by bringing the value of the jet pilot up to what it should be and not agreeing to do our profession for less than a manager at MacDonalds makes. You don't get paid more by working longer, you just work longer and earn the same crappy wage, just longer. But first I guess we have to be able to spell, two 't's in quitting. Just messing with you, I'm a frequent spelling disaster.

Purpledog said:
Repeat after me, work less, paid more, work less, paid more, work less, paid more..............

Regrettably my friend you are sounding more like a 16 year old mother of 4 who just got her Ed Mc Mahon USA government check on the first.

Dennis Miller said:
Regrettably my friend you are sounding more like a 16 year old mother of 4 who just got her Ed Mc Mahon USA government check on the first.

Nooo...he sounds like he flys for a company that can easily pass any increase in costs to the consumer. Once that gravy train ends,he will find out what it is really like out here , just like the rest of us had the last several years.

PHXFLYR:cool:

You guys can debate this until the cows come home. Even longer than the Wright debate. It also reminds me of the Social Security debate.

Shortest synopsis I can come up with-----

Old guys to Young guys---I'd like to keep working until 65. I'll make more cash and I love the job I do. Most of us worked hard to land this dream job and its hard to job search at 60, give me a break. I care about your furloughes and income but stop trying to kick me out of my seat!

Young guys to Old guys---Get out of my seat Old man, you are the only thing holding up my career!! I'd like to get out of the regionals before I'm 35. Besides, a deal is a deal.

Don't forget, Young dudes, many pilots will medical out before 60. Imagine how many more will medical out before 65 or 67. No right answer here. It is what it is, a crappy time in this industry.

Last edited:
This dumbfounds me. What exactly is your goal? Work twice as hard for half the pay. Now that's something to shoot for! Everyone realizes that pax carriers are in a bind right now. However, that is no reason to minimize our profession and your sense of self worth. Do you really think that you deserve to be paid less than a fast food manager?
Once that gravy train ends,he will find out what it is really like out here , just like the rest of us had the last several years
I hope it never happens, but thanks for rooting against the 4600 of us that are trying to keep the bar at a decent level. Yes I am fortunate that I work for a company that makes money, never said I wasn't. You all sound like a bunch of management stooges. Attitudes like this are why our profession is in the gutter.

My thoughts? This round and round stuff is like arguing abortion, religion, and the death penalty. With age 60 the way it is at least we know what we've got. I say leave the rule alone, maybe its not perfect but we know what it is and every single pilot here has known what it is before he even got into the business.
There is a book titled "One Pilots Log: The Career of E.L. 'Slonnie' Sloniger" which was written by his son. It chronicles his life and career. Slonnie is also Ernie Ganns Old Number One. Chapter one has some very interesting reading on the subject. Age 60 feelings aside, I would definately recommend the book to anyone.

FlyBoeingJets said:
You guys can debate this until the cows come home. Even longer than the Wright debate. It also reminds me of the Social Security debate.

Shortest synopsis I can come up with-----

Don't forget, Young dudes, many pilots will medical out before 60.

Yes, unfortunately for me, it will probably be me.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back