My take on the Wirght amendment...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aa73

It will fall. It has to. Even though I work for AA, I see both sides of the argument, and the fact is that it's all back door politics and deals. And all such deals eventually fall when customer convenience starts to suffer. I live in the metroplex, and most of the public here feels that SWA is the little darlin' that can't do any wrong, and AA is a giant gorilla that steps all over people. With those kind of sentiments echoed in the halls of Congress, I think it's only a matter of time before it crumbles. I can't say I blame AA for fighting for it, but I also see it's a futile fight. SWA will get its way. They have the financial standing and the public's support, and AA has created too many enemies. Now AA needs to figure out a way to be profitable with an unlimited Love Field nearby. It ain't gonna be pretty.

Nice post, I like seeing rational arguments on here before people start insulting people's moms, etc. ;)

You're right that there is this David and Goliath stereotype between AA and SWA, when in actuality, based on profitability it's currently the other way around. SWA definitely benefits from it's underdog image!!

From a pure free US type argument, I don't know how anyone could support the Wright Amendment. However, if someone seems to need protecting and they get lawmakers involved, all bets are off.

If / when the WA falls, I think it would have little effect on AA and DFW since DAL can't handle a lot more traffic (IMHO). On the other hand, I believe SW could do well at DFW. I don't think they should be made to move, but the taxi time and all at DFW isn't near what it used to be prior to 9/11.

So, I believe it's in AA's better interest to let the WA die. If they somehow ended up coaxing SW to move to DFW, it could be devistating to AA. SW could fly many more flights out of DFW than they do out of DAL and AA could not compete against them cost wise.

All of the above is just my opinion though.

Actualy I don't think anyone with a vested interest in this fight want AA and SWA head to head. Neither is going to come out stronger. I'm sure this has been linked before but this is from 1999 when AA was being investigated for thier DFW operations and how ironic that most of the arguments back then are still used today. http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f2400/2438.htm

Does anyone think at this rate SWA will have to move some operations to DFW at some point anyway?

There is not a ton of space left at Love anyway, and if WA is repealed and they start to expand like they claim, will Love be able to hold em? They have been really clear that the master plan won't be touched...

Hamburgler said:
Does anyone think at this rate SWA will have to move some operations to DFW at some point anyway?

There is not a ton of space left at Love anyway, and if WA is repealed and they start to expand like they claim, will Love be able to hold em? They have been really clear that the master plan won't be touched...

"Have to" move? Uhhhh....no. Who would make them move in a deregulated environment? The US Government? Would the government also determine what the ticket prices would be?

SWA looked at DFW ( just as they have many other airports) and determined that it was not in SWA's best interests....kinda like Delta also determined that having a hub at DFW was not in their best interests.

Tejas

Tejas-Jet said:
kinda like Delta also determined that having a hub at DFW was not in their best interests.

Tejas

Says much about the actual demand available in the Dallas region..

If DFW would re-work the ways that they deal with traffic...i.e. west bound off the west side...and AA would agree to use only one side of the Airport, then I could see SWA going over there. Otherwise SWA gets the WA lifted, expands service all over its network, and outgrows the Love field master plan. Arpey was already talking about re-working the master plan during the hearings.

I did not bold "have to" in my original message - didn't mean for there to be emphasis on that! ;) Just wondering if at some point they may end up making the move regardless to pick up connecting travel, especially international...

Latest resources

Back