My sixth year view of AirTran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh God, where to start...

We are about to have a concessionary contract rammed down our throat and no one is stepping up to the plate. Until we hit them in the wallet, expect nothing to change.
That's something I'd better not EVER, EVER hear a NPA BOD or Rep come out and say.

The contract that is sent to the pilots for ratification is a DIRECT result of what the NC is able to get out of the company.

1. If the polling numbers show the majority of pilots aren't in favor of a concessionary contract, then the NC is violating its responsibility to the pilots of NOT ALLOWING ONE TO GO TO VOTE. Period.

2. If the polling numbers show the majority of pilots aren't in favor of a concessionary contract, then the BOD is violating their responsibility to the pilots of NOT ALLOWING ONE TO GO TO VOTE.

3. If the polling numbers show the majority of the pilots aren't in favor of a concessionary contract, then the MEC Chair is violating his responsibility to the pilots of NOT ALLOWING ONE TO GO TO VOTE.

This is not my first rodeo. These are BASIC TENANTS that ALL of these people SWORE AN OATH to perform for their membership. Anything that is put out that is even VAGUELY in conflict with the Wilson Polling data violates the trust and faith of the pilots. Period.

There is no "ramming a concessionary contract" down ANYONE'S throat. The NC and BOD determine what goes to Mem Rat.

Taxi as if the FAA was observing, write up each and every maintenance discrepancy, alert, cabin discrepancy, do not reset CB's, do not test run engines (even if directed by Mx), conduct meticulous pre-flight inspections, do not call for a gate, cleaning, catering. In other words DO YOUR JOB AND NOTHING MORE!!
Many of those, in and of themselves, are illegal work actions. Especially not calling for a gate, cleaning, catering, etc. Those ARE part of your job.

The first ones however, are your FAA-MANDATED responsibility to do. If something's wrong, you call it in. Period. You ALWAYS conduct a thorough preflight. Period. You ALWAYS operate the aircraft as though the FAA were watching, because it's the SAFE way to do it. If that causes delays, so be it.

We have our sights set way too low. I've said it before, I can safely cast my NO vote today.
I'm glad,,, I can, too, if it's concessionary. But I don't believe our elected officials will send anything like that to us for Rat. If anything I'm hearing the exact opposite. Tensions are high, people are frustrated, which is what management wants.

Take a step back, enjoy your family, enjoy the holidays, and realize we're STILL a year or more away from the end game in this. We still have a LOT of tools available to us as a union that we haven't even begun to explore yet.

Stay the course!

The medical field is in worse shape than aviation. Just try going through all that hell for the same paycheck you get after six years at AirTran.
For once I agree with YPF.

My dad and I are the only ones in our family in the aviation field. Most are in medicine with two attorneys. The one doctor (cardio-thoracic surgeon) has been barely paying the bills the last 4 years after he began practicing and is just now starting to have a decent lifestyle. at 40.

The other just spent 8 months without a job after HCA moved in and purchased the hospital and shut it down to elliminate the competition. He's an Anesthesiologist... was making $300k to $400k when he was working but now the market here is flooded with doctors, nurses, etc from the hospital closing. He's going to have to move an hour into the country to get a job at $200k. At 38.

The G.P.'s are struggling to make $150k a year at 35-45... insurance companies are destroying their ability to make money with "negotiated fees" and other such nonsense. All in the name of lower insurance rates, which I'm sure as heck not seeing, my insurance costs go up every open enrollment no matter WHICH company I'm with.

I come from a family of lawyers and yes there are some that make under 100k but most make significantly more. I have seen my brother make more in one month than I made the whole year. He has been a lawyer for about 7 years and is on pace to bring in well over 500k and he still has time to play golf twice a week.
Your family is in the minority.

Corporate Attorneys are making pretty good change, but it takes an inside contact to get one of these jobs (just like a major). VERY few do it on merit alone and if they do, they're one of the really talented attorneys who also makes a killing in the private sector doing high-power criminal defense.

The majority of attorneys doing bankruptcy practice, family law practice (divorce, wills, POA's), and state prosecutors make right around $100,000 a year and work from 7 in the morning until 6 or so at night.

The MBA's are definitely where the money is at. If you want to go back to school, go get your MBA and go back to the airlines on the other side of the fence. You may not have any self-respect left, but at least you'll be set up to be part of the new aristocracy arising from this country for probably the next half-century.

As for me, I'll keep flying, keep fighting to have a decent lifestyle, and enjoy my family as much as possible.

Sorry if I'm rambling, the baby's been sick for a week and gave me whatever he has... :(

Last edited:
Incidentally, I disagree about upgrades.

People who are getting hired now, based on current aircraft orders, delivery schedule, historic attrition (which is probably going to go higher as previously discussed), will sit in the right seat for about 4 years.

Do the math based on vacancies over the last year compared to aircraft delivery and project out based on currently-proposed deliveries.

It's a lot slower than it's been recently, which is why we need MUCH better F/O rates as well as CA rates, but it's not coming to a screeching halt anytime soon.

Lear70 what a refreshing dose of reality. Making $100K per year doing something you like puts you in the upper 5% of income in the US. There are many many people out there who would love to be in that position. You fly airplanes because you like to. BTW how is a marginally profitable company supposed to make big changes?

There is no "ramming a concessionary contract" down ANYONE'S throat. The NC and BOD determine what goes to Mem Rat.

Tell that to the pilots of Alaska Airlines.

Many of those, in and of themselves, are illegal work actions. Especially not calling for a gate, cleaning, catering, etc. Those ARE part of your job.

Show me where it says that I must do any of that in the FOM.

The first ones however, are your FAA-MANDATED responsibility to do. If something's wrong, you call it in. Period.

The problem is, that is not being done.

Lear70 what a refreshing dose of reality. Making $100K per year doing something you like puts you in the upper 5% of income in the US.

Reality?

The sad reality is that we've systematically had our contract dismantled over the last 5 years. Management has been using our contract as toilet paper. And in your opinion, because I make over 100K, this is acceptable?

Personally I don't like being taken advantage of regardless of how much I make. Please do us a favor and never apply to AirTran, we have enough limp wristed, company sympathizers already.

Oh God, where to start...

That's something I'd better not EVER, EVER hear a NPA BOD or Rep come out and say.

The contract that is sent to the pilots for ratification is a DIRECT result of what the NC is able to get out of the company.

1. If the polling numbers show the majority of pilots aren't in favor of a concessionary contract, then the NC is violating its responsibility to the pilots of NOT ALLOWING ONE TO GO TO VOTE. Period.

2. If the polling numbers show the majority of pilots aren't in favor of a concessionary contract, then the BOD is violating their responsibility to the pilots of NOT ALLOWING ONE TO GO TO VOTE.

3. If the polling numbers show the majority of the pilots aren't in favor of a concessionary contract, then the MEC Chair is violating his responsibility to the pilots of NOT ALLOWING ONE TO GO TO VOTE.

This is not my first rodeo. These are BASIC TENANTS that ALL of these people SWORE AN OATH to perform for their membership. Anything that is put out that is even VAGUELY in conflict with the Wilson Polling data violates the trust and faith of the pilots. Period.

You contradict yourself. Sounds like you shouldn't have quit your job flying the mail.

9Capt.... Alaska had their contract shoved down their throats because they chose to go to binding arbitration, it was thier choice to do that.. BTW.. I believe they also got those $204 per hr pay raises because of binding aribitration... If we don't choose to go to binding arbitration, then guess what, the company can't shove chit down our throats that we don't vote on. You guys are all rediculous. One year ago everyone was saying the legacy's were all gonna die, now, things are turning around and everyone is saying the LCC's are gonna die.. Guess what, there are enough Pax out there for everyone, and predictions show that pax traffic could double by 2020.. I'm not sure if any of you guys know this but the airline industry is very cyclical... We just came from the worst downturn in airline history.. Besides, AAI could lose several million for 4Q and still make more than they did last year. AAI isn't gonna go anywhere in the near future.. Will the AirTran name be around forever? Maybe not, but, I would't expect the same fate as Easter, and Braniff... BTW.. We will get a contract someday. But probably not anytime soon, especially with what is going on at DAL and USAir.. AAI management is just stalling, and really, what do you expect them to do, they are in the business to keep the airline making money. And thats what they are doing. For all you guys who hate S. Kol.... I understand, but remember, he is one of the big reasons AAI paid so little for the 737's... We will get a contract, and it will probably be out of the blue and suprise the hell out of everyone when the TA is agreed to... For now, just sit back, relax, take a deep breath, and continue to fly safe....

Latest resources

Back