My sixth year view of AirTran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BR715

I've been here six years. Got hired when the legacies were sucking anyone up, and upgraded at a very young age. Very comfortable right now and making good money. The problem is this! Pretty much everyone here right now except for a couple of coolaid drinkers are becoming very discouraged. Contract bs is destroying morale and no one really gives a crap anymore. Talked to a fo friend of mine that told me a lot of people are going back to their lagacy jobs as the are getting recalled. Also many people here are contemplating the move to Continental, UPS, Fedex, and Southwest. Can't say I blame them. The guys getting hired now probably won't upgrade and the FO pay is horibble. I guess that would make tripple 777 right seat at Continental look pretty appealing. For me I'll ride it out, but sad to see that the company's attitude toward employees and willingness to shop the airline will more than likely someday mean the end of the AirTran name.

I've been here six years. Got hired when the legacies were sucking anyone up, and upgraded at a very young age. Very comfortable right now and making good money. The problem is this! Pretty much everyone here right now except for a couple of coolaid drinkers are becoming very discouraged. Contract bs is destroying morale and no one really gives a crap anymore. Talked to a fo friend of mine that told me a lot of people are going back to their lagacy jobs as the are getting recalled. Also many people here are contemplating the move to Continental, UPS, Fedex, and Southwest. Can't say I blame them. The guys getting hired now probably won't upgrade and the FO pay is horibble. I guess that would make tripple 777 right seat at Continental look pretty appealing. For me I'll ride it out, but sad to see that the company's attitude toward employees and willingness to shop the airline will more than likely someday mean the end of the AirTran name.

Not suprising at all.

I saw a lot of young captains at Midway that felt the same way. They became lazy and satisfied. Now a lot of them are FOs at Eagle or out of aviation. Some of the 737 guys landed on their feet with SWA. Some are out of aviation altogether.

My 9 year view of AirTran:

The apathy around here is embarrassing. We could have had a contract a year ago if we had even the slightest bit of testicular fortitude.

We are about to have a concessionary contract rammed down our throat and no one is stepping up to the plate. Until we hit them in the wallet, expect nothing to change.

Taxi as if the FAA was observing, write up each and every maintenance discrepancy, alert, cabin discrepancy, do not reset CB's, do not test run engines (even if directed by Mx), conduct meticulous pre-flight inspections, do not call for a gate, cleaning, catering. In other words DO YOUR JOB AND NOTHING MORE!!

We have our sights set way too low. I've said it before, I can safely cast my NO vote today.

Last edited:
The problem

The problem is there are still long lines of people waiting to get in. Any company will not wake up till the retraining cost soar and the pool of qualified guys goes dry. I'd stay and make the six figures and keep in touch will all your buds elsa where. Why leave good money to start over, stay till the end then start over, unless its UPS or Fedex.

My 9 year view of AirTran:

The apathy around here is embarrassing. We could have had a contract a year ago if we had even the slightest bit of testicular fortitude.

We are about to have a concessionary contract rammed down our throat and no one is stepping up to the plate. Until we hit them in the wallet, expect nothing to change.

Taxi as if the FAA was observing, write up each and every maintenance discrepancy, alert, cabin discrepancy, do not reset CB's, do not test run engines (even if directed by Mx), conduct meticulous pre-flight inspections, do not call for a gate, cleaning, catering. In other words DO YOUR JOB AND NOTHING MORE!!

We have our sights set way too low. I've said it before, I can safely cast my NO vote today.

Not according to Ty Webb!!! He's getting a big fat pay raise!

Nothing lasts for ever, but it does seem like the "Legacies" are on the upturn, so at least there is some good news out of our crappy industry and profession.

Man, I wish someone had told me all of this was going to happen 20 years ago.. I'd have gone to Med school.

Latest resources

Back