My Great Lakes Interview....oops!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Daresuzy

Well guys, I can not believe what just occurred. I am still slapping myself in the face and asking myself why I did what I just did. I actually cried all day Saturday.
I interviewed with Lakes for a First Officer position on Friday. I paid for my own airline ticket to/from the interview $325.00 round trip. I studied nearly a month for the interview. I interviewed, everything went PERFECT. It lasted about 1 1/2 hours, mostly faa reg. type questions, and "what would you do if..." type questions.
At the end of the interview I was told to wait in a lounge area. I was invited into a second meeting/interview. I was congradulated. I was SOOOOO excited to have made it that far in the interview process. I was jumping with excitement inside. The second meeting consided of propaganda videos and employment information. There were about 7 of us in the room. About an hour in the meeting, an overhead was put on a screen in front of us showing us our pay rates. I stood up from my chair and walked out!!!!!!!!! Everybody stopped in silience, even the company's rep. They all watched me leave the room. I went back to the terminal, got on my flight and flew all the way home. I don't know what I just did. But I can't believe I did that. I'm hurt. I've worked too hard to only get paid $12,000 - $14,000 a year as an airline FO. I have to start all over with a job search now.....I've got to go back and fly freight again....but hey, I'm making $32,000 a year doing that. I guess I'll be a lifer as a freight dog.
Suze. :( Today is a sad day.

Yeah, I'll agree that's bull or just one of the dumbest stories I've ever heard.

While you were 'studying' for nearly a month, I would think you would have come across the starting FO payscale. Or, maybe it was smarter to pay 325 for a ticket without knowing the starting pay or anything else about the industry.

Last edited:
Yeah, something smells. It looks like IFF gave you pretty extensive information about three weeks ago, including exact pay rates and expectations of B1900 capt. pay. Here's the link.

Commuter Interview

I would have jumped for joy just to get as far in the interview process as Suze did. When I was looking for commuter jobs, my quals at that point included something like 3000 total and something like 700 multi and my ATP, with 650 of the 750 of the multi coming through paid employment. I lost count of the tons of stuff I sent out. I got five interviews, but never was invited to a "second meeting." After a time I couldn't buy a commuter interview (we're talking figuratively, of course). The pay for new FOs was the same ten years ago as it is now, and I knew that. Sure, first-year pay sucks, but it improves after the first year.

Some things just amaze me. At least she can take the $325 off on her taxes next year.

Last edited:
Ha Ha Ha

Thats a pretty bad story. Are you honestly gonna say that you went into an interview with the prep you say you did and read the replies to your posts, and you still had no idea of what you'd be making? I third the motion that story is BS. Surely you can't be serious.

What a bunch of BS!

I've got to wonder along the lines of the others... are you flamebaiting us or what?

I told you EXACTLY what newhire FOs at Lakes make, so why was it such a surprise at your interview?

HOLY COW PIE BATMAN!!

Latest resources

Back