Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Never Trust A Monkey
Hello-

Wondering if anyone can offer some advice. Due to family and personal needs, there's a good possibility that I'll have to move to Florida within the next 6 months. I've never had to move somewhere without having a job lined up first. From what I've read so far, FL is not a hard place to find work but pay seems to be lower than average. Is this true, generally speaking? What are some good ways to find out who's who in the area? I'm not one to bounce around between jobs looking for the next bigger plane, just would like a reasonable flying job with a reasonable company to stay with for a long time. What will and ATP with 2500 total and 1500 multi get now days in the charter world?

Thanks in advance-

Mike

you got enough time to apply to the FedEx feeders or most charter places.

Where the heck are you going to have to move to in FL? We pulled a ship off of the beach at Perdido key once, but ask anybody that lives in Jacksonville what happened and they'll look you dumb right in the eye.

It's a big state down there.

The pay is less, but the cost of living is pretty low too.....you can find a decent home well under 200 grand in most places, and everything else down there is cheap........I'd check out cape air with those times...this time of year, you'd be living somewhere near naples, FL....there are also tons and tons of cargo carriers down in miami..........good luck....

edit:..oh ya, lots and lots of private jets....west palm beach, naples, ft. meyers, tampa and orlando are just a few places there that have a lot of corporate flying......

indianboy7 said:
The pay is less, but the cost of living is pretty low too.....you can find a decent home well under 200 grand in most places, and everything else down there is cheap........I'd check out cape air with those times...this time of year, you'd be living somewhere near naples, FL....there are also tons and tons of cargo carriers down in miami..........good luck....

edit:..oh ya, lots and lots of private jets....west palm beach, naples, ft. meyers, tampa and orlando are just a few places there that have a lot of corporate flying......

You can't get a cardboard box for less than $200,000 in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Palm Beach area.

Last edited:
indianboy7 said:

Please tell me WHERE in Florida you can find a decent place for less than $200k. I live back and forth between Australia and So.Florida, and there is noplace excepting maybe a trailer park or a Haitian community where you can find pricing below $200k. Cost of living in SoFla is HIGH. Expect to pay $1200 mo in rent for a reasonable 2 bedroom apt, and $200k+ for the condo equivalent. Fuel is expensive and food ain't cheap either.

indianboy7 said:
The pay is less, but the cost of living is pretty low too.....you can find a decent home well under 200 grand in most places, and everything else down there is cheap.......quote]

Cheap-er relative to San Francisco and New York maybe, but not compared to the rest of the country. I live in Palm Beach and am literally priced out of the housing market. You can still find a cheaply built, zero lot line house for around $200k in Port St. Lucie, but the 1 hour commute is a no go for me. Everything else is expensive, including gas, restaurants, and groceries. No state income tax helps a little, but hardly makes up for the rest.

BTW, south FL (east and west coast) has some of the most overvalued (like 70%) real estate in the country. I would not recommend buying anything right now.

A recent article about south FL cost of living:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/sfl-mayocol01jan01,0,6372302.column?track=mostemailedlink

Thanks folks-

It's kinda funny though. I actually look forward to having to move to FL. Right now I'm in Philadelphia. The only catch is that I'm currently pulling about $47K a year flying piston twins day VFR only. It's gonna hurt going down to the mid-twenties flying right seat. Believe me, I know how much real estate has inflated. I have family in that area. Their house went up 300% in 4 years.

In the charter business, how long does it typically take to become PIC? Less than 2 years?

Most likely I'll have to live the Tampa through Naples area, maybe as far as Orlando.

What scares me the most is having to grab the first thing I find to pay the bills, and have it end up being a bad company to work for. Are there many charter outfits in the southern half of FL to avoid?

Latest resources

Back