• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

pilot773

I have a question for all you pro pilots out there.

I am currently hold a ppl and am working full time as an IT geek while working towards the rest of my ratings. I plan to get my CFI and build up hours to get to the regionals and then a major (I hope and pray).

I also happen to be a Muslim.

My question for you folks is if you have any issues with Muslim students learning ho to fly with the goal of flying professionally. A similar question would be if you know any Muslim pilots working with you currently, and if so, do you have any issues with them?

Thanks, and look forward to any responses.

I can't speak for others, but I don't care weather you're muslim, christian, hindu, agnostic, or drewed. I do care about attention to detail, judgement, systems knowledge, and an attitude of safety.

A pilot's religion is important to the pilot, but that's as far as it should go. I do believe that if you're a muslim, you should strive to be a good muslim; live according to your beliefs. If someone claims to be christian, then let them live closely with those ideals, and so on. Nothing is so disconcerting as one who professes one thing, and does another. Personally, I've flow with several arab muslims, and had no problem with them.

Certainly you have a stigma to overcome. The media hasn't helped. That doesn't mean you have any less right or responsibility, so make the best of it, and good luck to you!

pilot773,

I think if you an I were sharing a cockpit, a question I would ask during the course of the trip would be, "What do you see for Israel ten years from now?" When I asked that in grad school, the answer was "Israel will not be around in ten years." I would not feel very compfortable flying with one who held such beliefs. I would very much enjoy flying with one of ANY religion who adhered to the peaceful tenets of that religion.

Avbug hit the nail on the head.

It will only be an issue if you make it an issue. Of all the people I ever managed or worked with, I always made it clear I could care less what they did in their off time. When they were working it was to be to the standards set forth with the job at hand.

Had an issue once with a gay employee. When I hired him, I couldn't tell or care if he was gay. After his first month he started "testing the water" with co-workers to see how they would respond and how liberal the staff would be. The only reason it was an issue was because he went around making it an issue. I had to sit him down and advise him that sexual orientation makes no difference as long as the job is being done.

He left a week later. Probally to go make it an issue somewhere else since we were not going to play.

Focus on your training and being professional. Good luck.

It is very important to see people as individual's and that all men are created equal. We all have value, whether their values conflict with yours or not nothing makes us superior to one another. As an instuctor your job is to give information, encourage and teach to the best of your ability. That means that you must give the student your 100% best no matter what. Some students will be easy, some will be hard. There is no question that a farm kid from Kansas who has been driving combine's all his life will be easier to teach than someone from another background. We cannot discriminate no matter what we feel or how we have been violated. Every person in this great country has the right not to be discriminated against, that is what being in this wonderful country is all about.

I second the thoughts of all the people who replied on this thread. I think the pilot religion is bigger than any other religion and you will always be respected if you respect being a pilot.
people can have different faiths but as far as they can respect other people and their faiths everything should be fine.

I don't think people should treat people differently if they are muslim or hindu's or any other religion. If they do then is not any different than being discriminated as black or white and its sad.
Good luck in your career......

Mom taught me there are two things you need to look at when you first meet someone. The first is to look into the other person's eyes. She called them the "windows to the soul". The second is the person's smile.

Dad taught me that when I meet another man to shake his hand. "You can tell a lot by about someone by the way they shake your hand."

These are the only yardsticks I use to measure other people.

We live in a wonderful country with freedoms unimaginable in other places. The religion you pick, the color of your skin, the language you speak, the ideals you believe are meaningless except that you are free to do anything you want. I wish that everybody would study our US Constitution and understand how great it is and how fiercely we must protect it. There is only one USA and there is a reason almost everyone on the planet wants to come here and nobody seems to want to leave.

I think the real question is do YOU have a problem with non-muslim pilots. Are they all infidels and should be eliminated or are you willing to coexist with people of different religious beliefs. What if your captain was Jewish? Personally, as long as you don't try and kill me, I could care less what religion your are.

Everyone has given you a pow-wow type answer. In a pefect world I would say the same and wish you luck. In case you hadn't noticed on other threads even the pilot religion has problems. People seem to bash others depending were they fly (majors or regionals). If people are that way just for the type of flying they do I can only imagine what some biggot may think of someones religion.

There are many fine people in this business, but there are just as many that would eat and spit you out to get what they want. Enjoy the flying, but do not go in with blinders on. Watch your back.

I do not say this because I am a pessimist, but more a realist. Good Luck

AAflyer

I'll join the powwow and say that I would have no problem with flying with a pilot who happened to be a Muslim. In fact, one of my favorite flying friends was a Muslim. I CHOSE to fly with him because he was a great person and a fine pilot. Unfortunately, he died in a plane crash last year, in which I understand he lost consciousness near the runway when attempting to go around. I still miss flying with him and having such a great friend. If you are anything like my friend was, I would gladly welcome you into my cockpit.

Blue skies and tailwinds,

kilomike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back