Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Multiple flame outs in the FL region that day?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RVATOR

Heard someone say today that they heard 4 other engines flamed out in the florida region the same day that flops had the beechjet flameout and land in Jacksonville?!! Anyone hear this and can confirm where that info came from? If this is true then there is much much more to this story than we know, remember the last flops beechjet flameout was over the Gulf near florida.

I understand that the fuel was checked in the aircraft and fuel truck and it all checked as it should. A/C runs just fine with the fuel that was in the plane when it landed quiet. I believe the story to be "core lock" and they were unable to restart either engine. The outside of the engine cooled much quicker than the core and squeezed it so that it would not rotate. Kinda like siezing your dirt bike motor but.....worse.

RVATOR said:
I understand that the fuel was checked in the aircraft and fuel truck and it all checked as it should. A/C runs just fine with the fuel that was in the plane when it landed quiet. I believe the story to be "core lock" and they were unable to restart either engine. The outside of the engine cooled much quicker than the core and squeezed it so that it would not rotate. Kinda like siezing your dirt bike motor but.....worse.

Actually saw something similar happen in a lear 25 once long ago. First flight after a hot section and it flamed out. If I remember right the repair facility said it was blade stretch and caused the blade tips to contact the case just enough to flame it out.

joepilot111 said:
That core lock thing...it's what brought down that Pinnicle RJ a while back

No. Core lock is what prevented them from restarting the engines after they had flamed out.
Failure to accomplish the memory items for a dual engine failure in a CRJ is also something that prevented the crew from restarting the engines after they failed.

Latest resources

Back