Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Whirlwind

Fling-wing pilot
Quick question about this... Do low time pilots buy blocks of inexpensive time in a twin to build up that ever important ME time for career advancement?

Does $75/hr dry sound like a good rate for a 100 hour block of time in a ME airplane? What about $85/hr dry for a 10 hour block of time?

WW

Where at

I have been building my multi time 50% paid and 50% donated or so there abouts. I use all my money I make from instructing and turn it back around and buy time with it. My wife makes plenty to pay the bills so I am lucky in that regards.

Where are you in the country?

Your rates work out to be about 140/ hr wet depending on the type of aircraft. I am renting a Siminole at 160/hr wet without block so your deal sounds about right.

Dallas, Texas...

Been thinking of buying a light twin and selling blocks of time in it to existing ME pilots who want to build time on the cheap. Not for their inital training, but just to add those hours.

Fuel here ranges all over the scale, but there is a nearby field where it is only $1.65/gal, so at 28gph, it would add $46.20 to that price tag, so it could be as cheap as $121.20/hr if they wanted to buy a 100 hour block and fill it up at that field.

I just wanted to get an idea if this is something ME pilots would be willing to consider. I wouldn't want to sell it by the hour, too much hassle there. :) I also wanted to know about the price, cause it doesn't do any good if it isn't priced right.

WW

You might want to check the insurance requirements for something like that. Insurance may be quite expensive.

Yea, insurance is expensive, but if no flight training is being done, it isn't quite as bad...

Each renter would be checked out in the plane, but other than that, it is just commercial rental for time building.

It also helps that 20% isn't going to an FBO. :)

WW

philiplane said:
I do multi time building. Unless a pilot meets the open pilot clause, I have to be in the plane. OPC is usually 1500 TT, 100 ME, 100 complex, and 5 in make and model.

If they meet that, then they don't need to build time.

True enough...

Cheapest ME insurance is about $3500 yr for 50K hull, $1 mil with sub limits, non-commercial, with the lowest time pilot having min 500tt, 25 me, 100 complex, 5 make/model dual received.

$3,500 yr? That's cheap!!! I'm paying twice that right now on each of my 172s... (this would be my fifth aircraft, first twin)

It can be done, but you have to be able to carry the loan, the insurance, the maintenance, and surprises (times two).

Yep, but the trick there is to fly the heck out of it. I'm figuring that if it can be flown at least 75 hours a month, it makes a world of sense. There would have to be a market for it at $75/hr dry for 100 hour blocks or $85/hr dry for 10 hour blocks. (maybe a middle option of $80/hr for 50 hour blocks or something like that)

If there is, I'll do it...

WW

Originally posted by philiplane you should be paying about $1000 for the same (50K)hull coverage on a 172, if it's private.

My 172s are used for flight training and rentals, I'm paying $7,300/yr for insurance on them (smooth liability, $75K hull value, $500 deductable, covers everyone who flies it, including students)

commercial twin insurance is about $6500 for the same $50k coverage. so it's almost double the private rate.

$6,500/yr for insurance on a twin sounds cheap... Of course if they require 50 ME time it does no good...

The requirement would have to be a checkout in the twin first, and of course an existing ME rating. Maybe 10 ME total time, 5 in type?

That's far from cheap. but the break-even on a twin is much lower than a single.

Cheap in this business is an oxymoron. ;)

They problem is availability. No one will rent you a twin because the insurance won't let them. Unless you have enough time, them you don't really need to build it, catch 22!

So I need to call my insurance agent... :) Ok, fair enough...

I just didn't want to get into too many of those details until I had learned more about the interest of this.

My original question still stands. If you, as a fresh multi-engine rated pilot wanted to build time towards your career, would you buy 100 hours of time in a light twin for $75/hr dry?

Lets say you only had to have 10 ME total time and 5 in type, just for arguements sake...

WW

Remember, If your insurance requires 5 or 10 hours dual MM, you will need to do 100hour inspections on the plane.

Yes, to answer your question, If I were looking to enter the professional pilot ranks, I would rent your cheap twin.

Yea, I expected that 100 hour inspections would be required. Considering this needs to be flying 50 to 75 hours a month, I wouldn't want to only do annuals anyway, too many flight hours between inspections in that case. :)

Good to know you think it is priced right. The idea here is to keep it in demand and flying all the time. :)

WW

Latest resources

Back