Multi PIC vs Turbine PIC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PIC vs. SIC

Get all the PIC turbine you can. SIC in the right seat of a lear won't count for squat on an airline application. A 1900 captain will get the job long before the right seat SIC jet driver even gets a phone call. It has been proven time and time again, PIC turbine is the best way to increase your odds of getting a major airline job.

AK737FO, and SphincterBoy pretty much have it right. Go for the PIC turbine if you can, because it gets you the "big" interview quicker. How each airline ranks flight time differs across the board, and is a fairly well guarded secret. Even if you do know the rankings, you don't know what number they are using on a particular day to send out interview invites. How you do in that interview, however, is all on you and not your flight time. Interviews, in my experience, are primarily about personality/likability. Sure they might assess your skills in a sim or ask you some technical questions, but I even that to some degree is about who you are as a person-i.e. how well you study, are you the person you say you are on your app/resume(honesty), and so forth. I've worked for a regional as a Captain and FO, and am furloughed from a major airline so I have jet time as well. But if I were in interview at ACA, Comair, Skywest, ASA or wherever, it means nothing other than it qualified me be sitting there that day(that and probably a healthy recommendation these days). You still have to dance through whatever hoops are entailed in a particular carrier's hiring process.

Great post. Marko said it exactly. You have to find a way to the interview. Then, it boils down to three factors, in this order:

1. Do we like him/her?

2. Is he/she trainable?

3. Is he/she qualified?

Isn't it funny, how likeabilty is more important than quals? But you need the quals to get there.

Latest resources

Back