Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GOBUFFS

Beat Nebraska!!!
how much multi-PIC is enough to move on to the next level(when the industry picks up)? currently flying checks in a baron, and thought about moving to a company with caravans.
is turbine PIC still as valuable if it is done in a single? how is it weighted? thanks in advace.
God Bless

2 is better than 1

Most airlines want to see a healthy dose of PIC in multi-engine turbine airplanes. If the C208 job helps you get there then take it, but I would not plan on padding the log book with years of single engine turbine time. The sooner you can find a multi turbine job and bank as much PIC time as possible, the better.
Multi-engine piston vs. single engine turbine? I think you are better off getting more multi time.
Good luck.

turbine v. recip

Absolutely, two is better than one, but a good dollop of single-engine turbine in scheduled operations will be a plus.

I'd say to be the least bit competitive you need no less than 500 of multi PIC. Perhaps you should stay with the Baron until you close in on that number.

Good luck with your plans.

Keep in mind quality of time too. Part 121 turbine PIC weighs a lot more heavily than Pt 135, which weighs more heavily than Pt 91. Part 135 recip PIC might be more valuable than Pt 91 turbine, and so forth.

I knew a guy with thousands of hours of SE turbine time and it was useless compared to his me piston time. Insurance companies and airlines that have mins for upgrades count ME time and TT, not SE turbine time. It's sad but airlines recognize 100 hours in a seminole or ME helicopter as being more important than a thousand hours in a 300kt tubine single in the flight levels. Take care.

Multi time

It's true, really, although I couldn't sell a commuter on my approximately 1100 hours of Seminole PIC time twelve years ago.

My multi time isn't doing me any good now. Anyone wanna borrow some? :D :D

Last edited:
I agree, stick with the twin. I would only go to the Caravan operator if it was a place like Mountain Air Cargo, where after a year you can upgrade to a 121 Fokker-27 twin turboprop. Good luck to you.

What do you guys think about PIC time in a small twin turboprop such as a King Air or MU-2 verse LRJet SIC time?

PIC turboprop v. SIC turbojet

That's a no-brainer, at least in my .02 opinion. PIC turboprop.

Both are turbine. Both are multi. PIC multi is ALWAYS wanted. PIC multi turbine is like gold. Get a couple hundred hours of that and, all things being equal with your other quals, you should be extremely competitive.

Last edited:
Re: PIC turboprop v. SIC turbojet

bobbysamd said:
That's a no-brainer, at least in my .02 opinion. PIC turboprop.

Both are turbine. Both are multi. PIC multi is ALWAYS wanted. PIC multi turbine is like gold. Get a couple hundred hours of that and, all things being equal with your other quals, you should be extremely competitive.

I agree. Just remember, when you are PIC, the buck stops with you. It takes incredable judgement and responsibility to be PIC. That is why I upgraded on the BE1900 when others in my hire class rushed to the FO postion on the RJ. I think all things being equal in an interview, if you have one guy with 1500 PIC turbine in a turboprop and the other with 1500 SIC jet, who do you think would get the job? In my opinion, even though you are only a PIC of a 19 Pax airplane, you are still making the same decisions as a 757 Captain.

SB

Latest resources

Back