Multi-engine training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Multi training

Contrary to popular belief, a multiengine rating isn't that difficult to earn, as long as you apply yourself. The rating is primarily procedures. The general flying is the same as for a single-engine airplane; you just treat the two throttles, prop controls and mixtures as one. The single-engine stuff takes practice after you get past the initial experience of losing one.

There IS some studying involved, to learn the airplane's systems. Spending time in the airplane doing dry time is a great way to help get the procedures down.

I taught my first multi students at Riddle and most seemed to need 15 to 20 hours to be ready for their practicals. I thought that was the norm to earn a multiengine rating. Then, I taught in the same airplane at FSI. Their Private Multi course was ten hours. I didn't believe it could be done in that time, but my students did it. I sincerely believe the difference was that my FSI students applied themselves and did hours of dry time. They had the procedures down and just needed to perfect them in flight. So, it can be done in little time. I'd point out that this was for a Private Multi VFR-only rating.

Good luck with your training.

Piper Apache Time

Looking into buying a Piper Apache to build some time in and wondered what the airlines would think of the time. The Apache is 150-160 hp per side so it wouldnt qualify for high performance time. Would the lack of high performance be a potential problem when looking for a regional position in the future? Thanks ahead of time.

From reading a bunch of the other posts here - I get the impression that multi time is multi time, and the difference between PIC in an Apache won't be that much different than that of a "High Perfomance" twin such as, say, a Seneca.

Maybe there's a difference if you're comparing an Apache to a 402 or something, but for the lighter twins, I doubt it.

Apache time

I don't see why it would not qualify as high-performance time. Isn't a high performance aircraft one with more than 200 hp? See FAR 61.31(f). Therefore, your Apache with two engines of 150 hp a side would be 300 hp. That notwithstanding, multi time, for the most part, is multi time and would not be a problem.

Perhaps if you are primarily a Cessna Skymaster driver the commuters may not be overly thrilled with centerline thrust multi. You will have no problem whatsoever, though, if your multi mounts at least one engine per wing.

Hope that helps. Good luck with building your hours.

multi

Unfortunately the way the reg. reads the airplane must have an engine of more than 200 hp to be high performance. Even though the combined is over that figure there is still no engine in excess of 200 hp on the plane so therefore not high performance. Although the general feeling that I am getting is that I would be given essentially the same credit for Apache time as I would something like a Seneca or the Aztec that I have time in already. Sounds like something I may be able to do. Thanks for the input.

"Low performance" twins

:confused:

This is a new one to me. Seminoles have 180 hp per side. I know of plenty of folks who got all their multi in Seminoles whom the regionals picked up. Except for about 50 hours in B55 Barons, all my time was in Seminoles during the time I interviewed for regional jobs. In my very first interview, the Chief Pilot or whoever he was was very interested in the Seminole emergency gear extension procedure. Moreover, I prepared plenty of airline apps in my time and do not recall one with a time grid that differentiated between single, high-performance single, multi, or high-performance multi. I did encounter one or two that distinguished turbine time from recip. I recall one app, perhaps the United form, that set off centerline thrust from otherwise. Obviously, for the military pilots to whom it was primarily intended.

Bottom line: The airlines want PIC multi. They will analyze how you built the time when it comes time to submit your logbooks. You will have an advantage if you built the time flying for pay. You will have added advantages if a portion was in actual and in scheduled ops.

Once again, best of luck with building the time.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back