• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Multi-engine training platform

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bought the airplane for four years ago with 3200TT and here is where we stand today...

First problem was poor quality fuel pressure transducers made by Piper.

Next problem was with the carbs.

We've had to do two engine overhauls early.

Recently had the right engine overhauled (at 1100 hrs) due to cracked crankshaft.

So far in four years we are about $200,000 into maintenance and have flown the aircraft roughly 700 hrs. $285/hr for maintenance is crazy!

Our maintenance is inhouse

For that matter we've had similar problems with Piper Arrow.

There are a few common denominators in your chain here, and they are not the parts because they are all likely made by different vendors. That only leaves logic to suggest a systemic problem that points to:
1. Your instructors
2. Your students
3. Your mechanics

I'm just sayin........

used the PA44 in my initial ME addon but worked on the MEI in a C310 and a TC PA34. Although more expensive, its good to train in an aircraft in the HP category for the sole fact as that is initially the goal to go faster, further, and higher. Insurance obviously more expensive as the aircraft is more expensive, but that shouldn't stop any flightschool from doing it. Personally a better option in the long run.

I used to run my own school with 2 C-150's and a 1955 C-310. An early 310 is a great ME trainer, but try to find a G model or later. Fuel injected engines, under wing exhaust and excellent SE qualities. Mine wasn't too bad on insurance, either, but this was back in 1995. Not sure now, but I would think you could go for about $250/hr wet and have them line up out the door. Oh, if you give the engines time to temp./stabilize, then TBO should not be an issue.

Peace.

Rekks

Latest resources

Back