Multi-engine Commercial First?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stmi0203

After completing my multi-instrument I was preparing to begin training for single-engine commercial. An instrutor strongly suggested I earn my multi-engine commercial and THEN begin work on my single-engine commercial. He said that earning my comm in a twin first would satisfy the requirement for demonstrating manuvers in a complex single during my single comm. So instead of demonstrating comm manuvers in the arrow, I'd just do them in the C172 b/c the seminole took care of the complex requirement. I've had difficulty comfirming/denying this with the regs. Comments and clarification would be appreciated.

It's been awhile since I instructed but if I remember correctly if you get your comm amel first, you have to do all required flights in a twin. 2 hr day and night vfr x countries, 300nm x country and a few others.

It's been awhile since I instructed but if I remember correctly if you get your comm amel first, you have to do all required flights in a twin. 2 hr day and night vfr x countries, 300nm x country and a few others.

That is correct - 14 CFR Part 61.129(b). If you do the commercial multi first then 61.129(b) applies. If you do the commercial single first, then all you are doing is adding a multi-engine rating to the commercial certificate and 61.63(c) applies.

Last edited:
I took my multi/ multi comm at the same time. there is only a difference of One extra approach. then the rest you said is true. just go up in a 152 and do the 4 required manuvers, and your done.

Jeez folks. Is everybody getting reamed nowadays?

Private, Inst., Commercial, THEN do Multi/Comm/Inst. all in one ride.

Get done with a grand total of 15 hours or so of paying huge multi rates.

At least that is the way it was done back in the late 80's early 90's.

Talked to a kid who did Pvt,multi,inst. inst multi, comm, multi comm etc etc...cost him a fortune.

I guess $100,000 in training costs to get a 20k a year job makes sense to the new generation!! :)

After completing my multi-instrument I was preparing to begin training for single-engine commercial. An instrutor strongly suggested I earn my multi-engine commercial and THEN begin work on my single-engine commercial. He said that earning my comm in a twin first would satisfy the requirement for demonstrating manuvers in a complex single during my single comm. So instead of demonstrating comm manuvers in the arrow, I'd just do them in the C172 b/c the seminole took care of the complex requirement. I've had difficulty comfirming/denying this with the regs. Comments and clarification would be appreciated.

I had a private and decided to go pro. I did the multi private,then the instrument in a multi. I did a few hours in an arrow to satisfy the single engine day/night xc requirements. I then took the commercial single and multi in the same ride. I took a fixed gear 172 up and did the single engine manuevers, then jumped in a twin to demonstrate the multi manuevers and complex aircraft operations. I didn't have to fly the single engine approach since I'd already done that. Why buy 250 hours of single engine time when you can effectivly get a discount on your multi if you do it while you build your commercial mins?

Last edited:
yeah. I just did the COMM AMEL and now I am going to do the ASEL COMM in a 172 or something.. it was nicer to do it that way becase it 1. gives yo more multi time and 2. gets you more comfy with the twin.. also, cool thing is, only one oral..

that being said, there is an awesome place in CT who specializes in this.. Action Multi ratings in Groton CT. they offer a 4 day course that takes you from PVT ASEL Instrument through COMM AMEL with a single add on.. check them out on the web for more info.. Really nice folks with a great product..

anywho, just my thoughts.

j

Why spend the extra cash.

I got all single engine stuff through commercial. Where I used to work you could get the commercial ASEL in 190 hrs total time. Then for the multi add on there is no time requirements I've heard of it being done in 5 hours with checkride. After that you can beg borrow and steal for more twin time. If you can find an MEI needing time for the regionals you can usually convince them to split the time, get your 50-100 hrs, and start whoring yourself out to the airlines. We have a guy at my regional we call pie guy because he only had 314 hours. (PI = 3.14159 for those non mathematical)

The best route to the airlines is:
1. Private ASEL
2. Private AMEL add-on
3. Instrument in AMEL
4. Commercial AMEL
5. Commercial ASEL add-on

This will add up to 250 TT of which 50 to 100 or more hours are AMEL. This is what the airlines want.

get your initial commercial in a multi. You might get hired before you get your single commercial. Check out www.flywhiteair.com Best rates includes housing, the people are great and the instruction is second to none.
I got a lot of multi time and actual imc, they love to teach. They instruct for a living, they are not just instructing to move on. The instructors have been doing it for about 16 years. Call them you will be glad you did.
If you need some time requirements in the twin they will help you get it reasonably.

Latest resources

Back