• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Much respect to you all

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
answer me this? does the new way of getting time better prepare oneself for dealing with emergencies than say a bad mag in in '63 aztec hauling freight over the mountains in a level 3/4 echo at night?
Yes, it prepares you much more. Why would you fly an Aztec with a bad mag in level 3-4s at night time? Seems to me you are stupid.

let me clarify, the mag went bad in flight. i learned the old fashioned way. you're expected to fly the freight wherever it needs to go. the challenges you face flying piston stuff with a stormscope .... do they shape or mold the pilot's ability to manage problems and abnormals. i had no QRH in a light twin, but you had to think it through in flight...

i hear the rjs just pop up a schematic of where the problem is and you run the checklist. i fly older boeing stuff right now.

i do know that the foreign appoach to hiring ab initio pilots from 0 to a 777 seems to be proven method of training.

Everything else being equal I would pick that "fool" over every guy that has 500 hours of fair weather flying, "safe" pilots like your self. Your post sounds an awful lot like the "entitlement" that I hear so many training instructors complaining the new guys have. The idea of learning while getting experience is a concept you dont even comprehend.

Agree 100% with the above ^^^

In my humble opinion, the good'ole days we all heard about getting into this biz are gone not only because of the QoL or the pay, but also because of people like the poster you replied to.

Agree 100% with the above ^^^

In my humble opinion, the good'ole days we all heard about getting into this biz are gone not only because of the QoL or the pay, but also because of people like the poster you replied to.

Man, cut the new kid some slack. We are all products of our environment. The ones that had to fly checks in level 4s surely have disdain for those picked up "advance to go, collect $200" cards from the Community Chest.

That said, there is not a single one of us who would not advance as quickly as possible if the opportunity presented itself. The only difference is that it didn't. Does that make the new kids poorer pilots cause they spent less time bugsmashing? Maybe. Maybe not. I've known a lot of high timers that couldn't fly for sh*t. Personal skill and judgment play a big role.

One more thing, when the Majors were hiring off the the streets in the early 60s, (yes that did happen) do you think that the established pilots were pissed? You betcha. But there is something to be said for on-the-job training. You wouldn't call these hires inexperienced now, they're the most senior in the business. Funny how time has the ability to change that.

^^^

Nah, my beef is not about the circumstances in which you got there, it is about the attitude some of these people have.

My uncle started flying with United in the 50's, they paid for him to get his commercial. He had only 300 hours when they hired him. He retired as a 747 pilot, never had any kind of incident.

Man, cut the new kid some slack. Does that make the new kids poorer pilots cause they spent less time bugsmashing? Maybe. Maybe not. I've known a lot of high timers that couldn't fly for sh*t. Personal skill and judgment play a big role.

I agree, I've found some big exceptions to high time equals good pilots on both ends of the specturm. That's why I said everything else being equal. However, there is NO REPLACEMENT for experience. The FAA knows this because they have minimum experience requirements for everything. I bet you'd be hard pressed to find a captain who hasn't had a fo feeze up in a situation that was less than ideal. That fo obviously wasn't ready yet. Whats even better is when your captain is behind the 8 ball. The point is all the tricks you put in your bag from all your back ground can help you down the road. Single pilot 135 prepares you very well for the unexpected and gives you a first chance to think about a bigger picture.

I dont have a problem with people who fast tracked their career if they can actually do the job. I have a BIG problem with someone who thinks they are a better pilot than someone else who flew 135. If I were to make a guess I'd say anyone who is looking to raise their "skill status" by citing 121 safety statistics over 135. Is either insecure about their own ability and is grasping for excuses to make them selfs feel better, or is just so ignorant...

Latest resources

Back