MU-2 Crash in Hillsboro

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cool thread ...

The flight department I hope to move to next will be flying an MU2 (in addition to a B100) and I initially had a hard time getting my brain around that one, after losing a friend last December to an MU2.

However, after having talked to my future boss and my present boss about MU2s I now have no problems at all interviewing for a right seat in one. Both Captains independantly echo'd what Lead Posted here.

Good maintenance + good training = safe MU2 piloting (generally-speaking)

There will always be exceptions, and we all know this profession has it's hazards, but I'm no longer scared of the airplane. I know the one I'll be interviewing for will be very well-maintained, and I have been assured of top-notch, regular training.

I'll always respect it ... but I'm no longer scared of it.

Minhberg
(future MU2 hopeful)

Snakem:

I have over 3500 hours in a B-100, both -6 and -10's. Nice ride, especially the -10. The Garretts were always good to me, never had a no flyable condition. But if I may be so bold to suggest anything, learn the NTS system like the back of your hand. No,,, learn it better. It will either save your life or kill you, your choice. And when you know it,, review it often.

Reese is the guy for MU-2's but if your going in the B-100 try getting Ken Elly at Simcom Orlando. He has a lot of tme in B-100's and knows the systems very well. Not too many sim instructors have ever been in a B-100, and they just read the book to you. He knows the stuff. (almost as much as me! :)

Hung Start said:
But if I may be so bold to suggest anything, learn the NTS system like the back of your hand. No, learn it better. It will either save your life or kill you, your choice. And when you know it, review it often.
Bingo. That's the advice that I'd give as well - for any Garrett-powered airplane.

Snakem said:
I'll always respect it ... but I'm no longer scared of it.
That's the proper attitude for any airplane, not just the MU-2 - however, it is especially applicable to the MU-2.

Up until now, the stuff you've been flying hasn't been too demanding. That's about to change. I enjoyed flying the MU-2.

'Sled

i flew one for a number of years in the early 80's (N50KW) and it was a hoot. hind-sight being what it is, i wouldn't reccomend one to anybody. mostly operated now by cheap cash strapped operators. it is a white elephant that should be avoided. JMO :)

learn the NTS system like the back of your hand
Please forgive my ig'nunce ... "NTS System"? :(

Up until now, the stuff you've been flying hasn't been too demanding. That's about to change. I enjoyed flying the MU-2.
I must admit, with the B200, it has been a challenge to keep up with sheer number of things that must be done as opposed to piston singles, and it's all happening quite a bit faster, but it is quickly becoming manageable. The Captain is an excellent teacher and really pours it on so that I'm always just a little tiny bit overwhelmed - he thinks newbies learn better that way and I think he's right. And the actual hand-flying wasn't bad at all once I learned to lighten up and fly it with my fingers, and once I got used to the right-seat picture on approaches and landings. Just as you guys said, the King Air is a great transitional airplane.

And just as you guys also said, according to my two mentors (present boss and future boss [hopefully]) the B100 takes a bit of work to learn it's idiosyncrasies, and the MU2 takes a LOT of work. But it's a good transition ... B200 --> B100 --> MU2 --> future boss says the Big Guy has a CJ3 on order for 2008 (iirc) and that should, by all accounts, be an easy transition after a few hundred hours in an MU2 :D

Minh

Last edited:
Snakum said:
...future boss says the Big Guy has a CJ3 on order for 2008 (iirc) and that should, by all accounts, be an easy transition after a feww hundred hours in an MU2 :D
Anything is an easy transition after a few hundred hours in the MU-2. ;)

'Sled

NTS= Negative Torque Sensing. Garretts answer to auto feather, but it isn't.

It is a No-go item, and best to be learned well. There was a Cessna 441 that was at altitude, after a major engine repair, TESTING the NTS. And it crashed, from on high because it failed. All you need to do is stand in front of the propellers and look at how wide they are, and imagine them going flat pitch on you just as your bringing the gear up. If they don't try to go towards feather you have a ton of drag. nawww, maybe 2 tons. And with a MU-2 and ts small wing and spoilers, it just gets worse. Still, great aiplanes if you treat them right.

And, they will not completely feather, only to about 85%, you get to do the rest.

By the way, if you do get to the B-100, PM me and I'll give you my #. I'll fill you in on everythng I know. Owner one for 9 years or so, got to be pretty handy around the old girl.

Hung Start said:
NTS= Negative Torque Sensing. Garretts answer to auto feather, but it isn't...It is a No-go item, and best to be learned well...And, they will not completely feather, only to about 85%, you get to do the rest.
On the MU-2, if you trimmed the airplane with the propellor riding on the NTS you wouldn't have to retrim it when you went to feather. The fact that it doesn't completely feather the propellor isn't a big deal. What is a big deal is that it truly is a "NO-GO System" and, as others have said, need to be understood and respected. It can kill you.

'Sled

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back