Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BEfly

Regular User
If you are sitting in an FBO with nothing to do, DON'T HOG THE ONLY PC WITH INTERNET!!! Thank you. I'll have another cocktail now.

I know that coming from a 121 background, I didn't know that almost everything for a typical corporate pilot, filing flight plans, wx brief, hotel reservations, etc. was done by the crews themselves, rather than the corporate office. I was kind of shocked the first couple of months on the road how little support some flight departments give there crews.

Anyway, give the benefit of the doubt to the guy/gal, maybe he/she didn't know you were needing to use the computer, or had a brain fart after several hours of crew rot....

Now lets have a beer, :beer: and get back to bashing on the airline guys! ;)

Actually with the stock market yesterday I think I'll cry in my beer instead. :crying: :crying: :crying:

If you are sitting in an FBO with nothing to do, DON'T HOG THE ONLY PC WITH INTERNET!!! Thank you. I'll have another cocktail now.

When I see anyone come into the area with the computer, I always say, "Hey, do you need this?"

But pilots aren't mind-readers; why don't you say something? You know, like, "Hey, whenever you're done I need to get on there."

Or do you just sit and stew silently? ;)

If the computer is in the flight planning room, and you are checking your email or ebay accounts, and another pliot walks in the FLIGHT PLANNING ROOM you should ask the incoming pilot if he needs the computer. This happened to me this past tour.

If the computer is in the flight planning room, and you are checking your email or ebay accounts, and another pliot walks in the FLIGHT PLANNING ROOM you should ask the incoming pilot if he needs the computer. This happened to me this past tour.

Exactly. Thats what I expect people to do, thats what I do. Be courteous!

Exactly. Thats what I expect people to do, thats what I do. Be courteous!
Grow a pair and politely ask to use it when he or she is done. Don't come on an anonymous message board to relay what could have been done in person. And I always ask when someone walks in if they need to use it but a lot don't even notice other people.

I ask if they need the computer when they walk in, especially if I'm just surfing wasting time. Now, if for some reason a person doesn't acknowledge the fact that you showed up, politely ask him if you could jump on to do some flight planning. I'm sure a vast majority would give up the computer very quickly, as long as they weren't in the middle of a little flight planning themselves. Courtesy goes a long way guys.

Lets look at it from the other side. Maybe you're on crew rot for the day. You've been farting around watching tv, talking on the phone, surfing the internet for the last 8 hours. Every time someone walks in you offer the tv remote if your using it or the internet if you're on the computer. Most importantly, you leave the room when a buddy calls you on the cell. After 8 hours of trying to be polite, you're bound to miss one guy that walks in the room. I have done it myself. I usually ask if the person entering the room needs the comp. The typical answer is "no, thanks".

I find it easier if the other guys just asks to use the comp when I'm done. 100% of the time I jump up right then and let him have it immediately. Think of the crew lounge computer as a pool table. "Can I get in the rotate and play the winner".

I picture this. You're the pilot not flying on short final stewing because your partner (pilot flying) didn't put the gear down and you're to embarressed to say anything. hmmmm.

Next time, please just say something.

Latest resources

Back