MS FlightSIM2002

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

datafox

Has anyone else here bought MS FlightSim2002 Professional Edition and not been all that impressed?

I've used MS Flight Sim since it came out, and usually their products have been fantastic. It has really helped me fly instruments and learn the basics of flying much quicker than if I didn't have it.

But, after flying the MS FlightSim2002 edition a bit it doesn't seem like all that much of a improvement from the last sim. The graphics are a bit better, but that is about it. Heck, it doesn't even come with a manual. Some things in the sim are terrible, for example when trying to do a coupled ILS approach (in any aircraft, but especially in the heavier jets) the autopilot gets way below the glideslope and never recovers. Anyone know of a patch?

I don't think there's a patch yet, but they're pretty good about patching stuff. I've been enjoying it. The ATC chatter adds a lot, and the frame rate is a lot better than 2000.

There is a really great add-on available for the 737-400. It adds a new 3D model, full (accurate) overhead panel, autopilot, and FMC computer (all integrated with the sim) that you can actually use to practice preflight flows, etc. www.dreamfleet2000.com About $30.

I haven't noticed much problem with the coupled approaches, but I've pretty much only been flying the 737 (the one that came with the sim; the add-on version just came out) and I mostly hand-fly the approaches for practice. I know there are some ways to edit the flight models of the planes and the way the autopilot responds, but I haven't ever tried it...

Last edited:
Anohter addon: freeware ERJ-145 panel

Another great addon, which is freeware by the way, is the ERJ-145/135 pannel by Bill Grabowski. It was made in collaboration with several real ERJ pilots. Although originally designed for use with FS2K, there is an update that makes it compatible with FS2K2 and when used with some of the FS2k2 ERJ aircraft that are also available for download, it will actually give you a little bit of insight into the complexitites and level of cockpit automation in the Embraer.

You can find a link to download the latest version here: http://www.fsnordic.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=erj&action=display&num=1006710270

Just a word of caution, it is very emmersive and unless you are familiar with the Jungle Jet, you will more than likely need to RTFM (read the manual) in order to have any fun!

Last edited:
Hey xhercdriver

xhercdriver said:
There is a really great add-on available for the 737-400. It adds a new 3D model, full (accurate) overhead panel, autopilot, and FMC computer (all integrated with the sim) that you can actually use to practice preflight flows, etc. www.dreamfleet2000.com About $30.

FYI - Dream Fleet released the update that upgrades the panel for use with FS2002 yesterday: http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/737.html:)

I just bought the FS2002 and was having the same problem of getting to low on the glide slope with the auto-pilot. It seems to be worse in the 777. After shooting a few ILS's, I found that if you use the proper amount of flaps right about the time the glide slope comes alive, the auto-pilot will do a better job of holding it. I flew a few with no flaps and got full scale deflection every time.
Hope this helps.
I'm still trying to figure out how to install this EMB-145 that I downloaded. no luck so far. Also, does anyone know where to get the patch for the 145 so it will work on FS2002

rk772 said:
I'm still trying to figure out how to install this EMB-145 that I downloaded. no luck so far. Also, does anyone know where to get the patch for the 145 so it will work on FS2002

Here is a link for the update:
http://www.fsnordic.net/files/msfs/Panels/Embraer/index.php

As far as getting it properly installed, if you are using Winzip (Winzip ) all you have to do is click the extract button on the user interface, point it to the folder where you want it installed, and then click the button labeled extract. It will then extract the files to the proper locations. If you dont feel comfortable with that then create a temp folder someplace on your computer and extract it there then follow the directions that for installation in the readme file for both the main package and the update!

Latest resources

Back