MOXY...Neeleman's latest start up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bafanguy

While start ups are pretty risky, they're entertaining to watch. Neeleman has pretty good credibility in this area so he's particularly worth watching. Many articles have come around about Moxy and those linked below aren't new but contain a couple of intriguing quotes.

Notice he alleges "innovative approaches" to pilot recruiting. I have no idea what that means but thought all approaches to pilot recruiting had already been tried.

"Neeleman promised 'innovative approaches' to recruiting pilots'..."

And notice what worries Neeleman the most and it's NOT getting pilots for Moxy:

"So what worries you the most?
Getting the planes."

A WHOLE lot can happen in ~2 years:

“Neeleman said GECAS will deliver the first A220 in April 2021, allowing Moxy to start flying from May.”

I don't know much about TAP (outside that they use an uncomfortably short seat pitch in coach between Lisbon and Cape Verde!) but I'm not sure I'd want anything to do with an outfit started by the same guy that started Jet Blue. Do we really need another crappy low-cost carrier?

Apparently you haven't been trapped in the last row in one of Untied's new 737 sardine cans for 6 hours with the "slimline" seats...you know, the ones with just almost enough padding to cover up the rivets. Hell, if you put an illegal alien in one of those seats for 6 hours on the ride back to where ever they came from someone would charge you with crimes against humanity!

There's a "Top Ten" list in here...

Top Ten ways that Southwest is better than the so called "Legacy" airlines

1) They don't pretend that they aren't a low cost carrier!

2) A surly attitude is not a requirement to be a SWA Flight Attendant!

3) No bag fees. Not for checked baggage, not for the overhead!

4) You know you have to bring your own sandwich on SWA and that's way safer than taking a chance on the $9.00 "snack" on another airline!

There's a start...

Apparently you haven't been trapped in the last row in one of Untied's new 737 sardine cans for 6 hours with the "slimline" seats...

belch,

You're right about that ! I can't remember the last I set foot on anybody's airplane. I loathe the airport and the endlessly creative ways airlines abuse the paying public. I'll drive 10 hours to avoid flying one hour. Kinda sad from someone who spent 35 years flying for a living.

Mostly my reply was just smart arse but I guess I'm always glad to see more jobs for those who might be interested. The public can vote with their wallet on each airline. The empirical evidence suggests the public will tolerate any level of abuse and mistreatment, short of certain death, for a cheap ticket. Hard to feel sorry for them.

Yeah, I'm approaching old fart status and can recall when Air Travel was civilized and people actually dressed up for the occasion, when even on a 45 minute flight there was a full meal service and when a family of four or five could actually travel together on passes. Even big airports were all business and had enough seating at a gate for whatever kind of airplane used it, unlike now where seating has been replaced by two starcrap's coffee dumps, a HMS Host regurgitorium of some ilk and some kind of grossly overpriced book store where you can pay $10 for a $5 paperback and water (the most plentiful chemical compound on Earth) is priced at about $4.50/liter. But at least they have thirty seats at the gate that serves the 75 seat RJ so that 45 displaced persons with nowhere to sit can block the too narrow passageway to a connecting gate that is about a 2K run away!

Airports have become cheesy tourist traps and you aren't missing a thing by staying away from them and sometimes when passengers are deplaning it looks like a fire drill at a mobile home park...

Any more I think that Greyhound is probably more reliable and Amtrak probably is more comfortable. If I actually wanted to go to Hawaii for vacation I think I'd look into going by ship instead of paying for abuse from beginning to end.

More jobs is kind of nice but in the long run they're going to have flight crews down to walmartian wages before we all get replaced by automation...just look at how well that works out on the 737-800Max!

Last edited:
belch,

I hear ya. Add in the jack-booted Smurfs and the whole experience is no go for me. At some point, circumstances will force me onto an airplane and it's a day I dread. Trains are a pretty civilized way to travel especially if you get one of those private cabins.

The only thing that makes Neeleman interesting to watch is his history. JB isn't a terrible place to work apparently. Can he do it again with Moxy ? Stay tuned.

:ROFLMAO:
Jack-booted Smurfs...

OMG you just made my day!

:ROFLMAO:

The thing that is so sad to me is that as offensive as the very fact that they even have to exist in this world is, they aren't as bad as the airlines themselves have become.

United has aircraft on it's certificate that can make the trip from KLAX to PHNL with a full load of passengers and baggage but instead, on many flights they are using 737 variants that will always be the fracking regional jets they were designed as back in the '60's when four engine jets were flying that route. I don't care how much fuel they can put in a 737, trapping a human being in confined spaces like that for six or ten hours is inhumane. Planing an aircraft on a route segment that it is known to lack the capacity to complete on a regular basis is incompetent and criminal.

They had a whole bunch of trials at a place called Nuremburg about how humans should be treated and a bunch of azzholes got hanged. The only fact separating Nazi War Criminals from modern airline management is that none of the Jews (or Christians, Gypsies or anyone else deemed undesirable) paid to go to the showers...

It will be interesting to watch what happens for sure. JB did do that passenger bill of rights but I don't know if Neeleman had anything to do with that. The culture has changed and passengers seem to be regarded as self propelled biohazards rather than paying customers and the whole reason that any given airline exists.

Delta has taken some turns for the worse most recently. When there is no aircraft at the gate when departure time comes you aren't kidding anyone-there is going to be a delay regardless of how optimistic the dispatchers are! Oh yeah, and who in the heck do they think they are fooling? Oh look, I'm in boarding zone 3!

That sounds pretty good. Until you stand there in line while about four groups who are too special to be relegated to having a "boarding zone" are called to board...seriously Delta? How long do you think it takes people to catch on that if there's no machine on the jet-bridge half an hour before departure time there's going to be a delay (er, since DC-3's were flying the line, dumbazzes-you're not fooling anyone!) or that your gate agents call out a bunch of "special" people before they get to boarding zone one?

Last edited:
Uh, what ?

David Neeleman has started the process of setting up another airline in the US in addition to the planned Airbus A220 operator Moxy. Neeleman is in the process of securing another air operator’s certificate (AOC) for the carrier that will operate a fleet of Embraer E1 E195s.

This 2nd link says it'll be 30 airplanes in a combination of scheduled and charter operations:

Latest resources

Back