Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WorldOnTime

Dumb A-- Ashy Larry
Anyone done it lately from the Lower 48? Trying to figure out the best way, most cost effective, least hassle, etc, etc. FedEx guys: Do we get any discounts with shipping companies? Thanks in advance

Fly safe-

WOT

Buy a Milepost

It is THE reference for driving the Alaska highway. It lists all gas stations, hotels, and restaraunts alomg the way. You can pick it up at any Barnes & Noble or Borders. I did the drive from Boca Raton a few years ago in early May. It was a nice time to go because not many campers on the road yet. Also, the roads were pretty dry then. The Yukon was absolutely beautiful driving but driving the Alaskan highway once is plenty. Good luck!

WorldOnTime...

I just bought a brand new (but cheap) airport car for my trip to ANC. See you there next May when I finish training. Mapquest says 3900 miles and 68 hours for my drive. :eek:

Anybody know what the crashpad situation is like?

You may want to check with Tote or Horizon freight lines to see if FedEx employees get a discount. If you can ship everything, you will save a lot of hassle. Thats how I did it.

Once I drove from Anchorage to Seattle to save money. This was in the middle of summer and I was not pulling a trailer. I think I set a record at 45 hours and it was still expensive. The point: If you need to pull a trailer or drive a moving truck this time of year, and you want to take your time (to be safe) the cost will most likely not be any cheaper than shipping.

A lot of people take the ferry from Seattle. Being the off season, this might be rather cost effective. Plus I hear it can be a lot of fun.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back in May 94 I took my car on the ferry out of Bellingham, WA to Haines, AK. The USAF paid for my cabin on the boat of course. In May 97 I took the ferry back south with a nice cabin. Takes about 4 days. Can be boring at times but great scenery and less driving. Saw plenty of the ALCAN from Haines to Anchorage. Milepost is a good book too. Weather might be deciding factor too. Lots of mosquitos in the Spring and Summer so watch out!

I just did the move. I bought a 14 ft enclosed cargo trailer and sold it for $500 more than I paid for it. The gas bill for 2 SUV's was outrageous. We took 9 days do drive it and had a blast. Buy a copy of the milepost (the bible) for the best info. I would recommend not driving at night because you do not want to hit a moose on the alcan.

PM me if you want lots of details.

SF3CA (now md-11 fo)

Latest resources

Back