Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Huggyu2

Live to fly; fly to live
For those of you with experience in these, it seems that many of them are more "powered airplane" than motor glider, like the long-wing Diamond Xtreme. If you've flown a few of these aircraft, please comment on the
one(s) that you know of.

Cool, a glider forum! I was a CFIG long ago at the AFA, and in many ways, soaring was some of the the finest flying experiences I've ever done. When you're working a thermal, and using solar power to get 700-1500 fpm, it's a thrill.

The real rush is in x-country, and I've often thought that motorgliders would be ideal. Shut her down, soar as far as you can, and at pattern altitude, admit defeat and crank her back up. Motor home.

I think for family and friend use, a 2-seater would be ideal, but like you've noticed, you'll give up a lot of performance vs a true motorized sailplane. I too would be very interested to hear of any experiences with these.

I've flown L13 vivat for a short trip... felt more like a cessna 172 with slow aileron resonse. About the same glide ratio, proper airplane instrumentation, engine gauges, flaps, speedbrakes, landing gear...even had a constant speed propeller with digital governor control! As long as the propeller dont retract into the fuselage, I'd consider them simple powered airplanes rather than true gliders

But will they soar? There's no point in a motorglider unless you can shut down and actually do some decent thermalling, or work some ridge lift.

I flew a Tifun 17E in Morgan, UT. Yes, it soared well and sported a L/D of 23, I think. Not sure if I spelled it correctly, Tifun. The departure was like a C-150 and the landing was like a sailplane. I understand that parts are expensive and hard to find, for example, the prop. I wonder if that is true with all the motor gliders? I agree it is the way to go. A person could haul it to any airport and go soaring.

Every time I land at an airport I,ve not been to before, I always look around and evaluate the soaring potential. I hope the sport becomes more popular as I am a CFIG. My dream is to operate a commercial soaring operation in Moab, UT. I used to give rides at the Moab airport in the mid 1990,s in a 2-33. Every flight was a hop to 14000 ft, faster than most single engine airplanes could climb. The view is awesome and very little air traffic to compete with.

Gorilla said:
There's no point in a motorglider unless you can shut down and actually do some decent thermalling,...
Well, one advantage is that, if you've got kids, they can solo a "motorglider" at age 14 vice 16 in an "airplane".
I'm curious if insurance costs are lower for motorgliders compared to "normal" single engine fixed gear airplanes.

With the motorgliders like the Tifun, despite the expensive parts, it seems you get the best of two worlds... you get a reasonably fast and comfortable powered x-country machine, due to the very low drag. It seems most of them will comfortably cruise at 100-130 knots on a Limbach or other dinky motor.

No medical required, true?

Then you get the glider side of the equation. The majority of my soaring was done in a 2-33 or a 1-26, both of them fun but definitely piggy as far as sailplane performance goes. If you have fun in a low-performance sailplane like these, I can't imagine the newer motorgliders to perform worse.

The Diamond Xtreme is a lot of fun to fly. Especially in places where finding a thermal is always a challenge. When/If I have enough money, I will definitely get one with the turbo.

I've got some time in a Stemme S10VT. It performs pretty well, published at something like 50:1, but its hard to really throw it over in those tight thermals.

DC-3TP said:
I flew a Tifun 17E in Morgan, UT. Yes, it soared well and sported a L/D of 23, I think. Not sure if I spelled it correctly, Tifun. The departure was like a C-150 and the landing was like a sailplane. I understand that parts are expensive and hard to find, for example, the prop. I wonder if that is true with all the motor gliders? I agree it is the way to go. A person could haul it to any airport and go soaring.

Every time I land at an airport I,ve not been to before, I always look around and evaluate the soaring potential. I hope the sport becomes more popular as I am a CFIG. My dream is to operate a commercial soaring operation in Moab, UT. I used to give rides at the Moab airport in the mid 1990,s in a 2-33. Every flight was a hop to 14000 ft, faster than most single engine airplanes could climb. The view is awesome and very little air traffic to compete with.
I've flown Dewey's Tifun as well. Nice machine.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back