Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShawnC

Skirts Will Rise
A fire broke out in the "attic" above the cabin ceiling of an American Airlines flight on Nov. 29, 2000, after the MD-80 jet was struck by lightning. A flight attendant tried to shoot Halon at the ceiling panel, but it had no effect. A passenger cut through a ceiling panel with a pocketknife so the attendant could shoot Halon directly at the fire and put it out.

That solution would no longer be available: Passengers have not been able to carry knives since terrorists used them in the Sept. 11 hijackings.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=676&e=5&u=/usatoday/fatalfirehazardsfindhidingplacesinsideplanes

Flight crews continue to have a need for access to tools in flight, to take care of things like this. We can't even have pliers or a screwdriver, since "we could use them to take control of the airplane".

Hopefully the TSA will be brought under control before someone dies.

Eagle,

I heard some of the TSA counters aren't even allowing D-cell flashlights because you can use it as a bat or something.

Just a thought.

I have a feeling I might get flamed for this (no pun intended), but in the event that there is an on-board fire behind a panel, to me the logical thing to do would be to call my crew, let them know I've loacted the area in which the fire is, and let them know I need the crash axe to get to it. I'm not stupid enough to start smashing away in the cabin without caution, but doesn't it seem that common sense in getting the fire extinguished outweighs the opening of the cockpit door?

Or did I just give the TSA a good enough reason to take another piece of our emergency equipment away?

Last edited:
ShawnC said:
Eagle,

I heard some of the TSA counters aren't even allowing D-cell flashlights because you can use it as a bat or something.
Shawn,

Been waiting for this to happen, since under 121, each crew member is REQUIRED to have a D-cell flashlight. Flight doesn't go, and I can go get some lunch while the TSA and FAA battle it out.

Best,
Nu

ShawnC said:
Eagle,

Heck, I put a D-cell Maglight in my kit bag after 9/11, both to have another flashlight, and as a makeshift defensive weapon. Some TSA goons commented on it, but no one was able to form a convincing argument why I shouldn't be allowed to have it.

I have recently had my nail clippers taken from my bag (twice) and all the while my Leatherman was sitting in the same bag. I carry this stuff in my checkin (big bag) but on ocassion have to run it through the X-Ray machine when we go through a gate to get to our Freighter. I have also had a TSA idiot try and take my double D flashlight but if you ask for a supervisor you can keep it.

NuGuy said:
Shawn,

Been waiting for this to happen, since under 121, each crew member is REQUIRED to have a D-cell flashlight. Flight doesn't go, and I can go get some lunch while the TSA and FAA battle it out.
121 just says a flashlight.

91:503 Flying equipment and operating information.

(a) The pilot in command of an airplane shall ensure that the following flying equipment and aeronautical charts and data, in current and appropriate form, are accessible for each flight at the pilot station of the airplane:

(1) A flashlight having at least two size "D" cells, or the equivalent, that is in good working order."

121.549 - Flying equipment.

(a) The pilot in command shall ensure that appropriate aeronautical charts containing adequate information concerning navigation aids and instrument approach procedures are aboard the aircraft for each flight.

(b) Each crewmember shall, on each flight, have readily available for his use a flashlight that is in good working order.

I went through this a few years ago in PDX, right around the time that the tsA took over airport "security" screening. I was in the middle of a pairing and working a flight. The tsA goons weren't going to let me through with my D cell flashlight (a plastic bodied, "Property of TWA" flashlight..... a story in itself). I told the first goon that I was required to have the flashlight, and that I wouldn't be allowed to fly the aircraft without it. She said no go (no explanation as to why). Another goon came over and asked if there were a problem, and the original goon said that I was trying to take the flashlight through, and confirmed that I was not allowed to take it. I asked to see a manager, and got my wish. I explained that I was REQUIRED by the FAA to carry a flashlight, and that if they took it, that the flight I was scheduled to fly would not be able to go. The manager told me that it wasn't her problem, and that I couldn't take the light! I pulled out my cell phone and she asked who I was calling. I told her I was calling the chief pilot on duty to explain why I wouldn't be able to fly the flight. Before I even hit the speed dial, she conferred with someone else on her walkie talkie, and then told me that I could take the light, "this time". I rolled my eyes and went on my way.

I would like to know WHEN we will be treated as part of the solution, rather than part of the problem.

I fail to see how security is enhanced in any way by forcing flight crews, who are GOING to take over an airplane, to submit to passenger screening for weapons. As the ONLY employees on the airport who don't need weapons to take over an airplane, it makes no sense to screen them for weapons, especially when those (all other "trusted" employees) that would need a weapon to take over an airplane AREN'T screened. To add insult to injury, the same folks that aren't screened have at least one incident of mass murder under their belts (that would have been prevented had they been subject to screening), yet still aren't screened.

It's surreal...........

I have a 4 foot bicycle chain attached to the handle of my overnight bag to secure it in the cargo compartment (so rampers can't take it off by accident). I have had nail clippers, plastic knives, matches, lighters, and pens taken from me, but not one TSA screener has EVER commented about this 4 foot chain. Go figure.

atrdriver

Latest resources

Back