More New Hires at FedEx!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks Tony.

I was wondering where in this pipeline they were going to teach the FOM. At the commuter I flew for, it was the first 5 days of indoc, and my highlighter marks were on every page....

Huck
One of my pet peeves. If you go to the 727 right seat you'll get a couple of days of FOM/Jepp training. If you come straight to -11, your on your own. The assumption is that you've worked your way up to -11 and you know it all by then.

In other words we don't do any formal training on the FOM in MD-11 training.

Disco

What is an FOM??

Huck said:
Thanks Tony.

I was wondering where in this pipeline they were going to teach the FOM. At the commuter I flew for, it was the first 5 days of indoc, and my highlighter marks were on every page....

Just for clarification, we DO have an FOM indoctrination "module" included in new hire training - - it's required by the FAA. However, it's very brief (one afternoon, I believe) and, IMHO, highly ineffective. It comes before any experience in any airplane, and for many people precedes any Part 121 experience. Furthermore, it's largely an exercise of going page by page and highlighting the lines and phrases that the instructor says to highlight. I was even fastidious about transferring those highlights when inserting page changes, but as a Second Officer I paid little attention to what any of it meant. The Basic Indoc version of FOM by no means gives one a working knowledge of the FOM.

[EDIT: I only deleted two little letters! :)]

Last edited:
Tony is 100% on target, excellent posts. Folks, this isn't about ego or trying to get people to do a certain thing, but those that have done it, each and every one, will agree with what Tony wrote here. The ones that would not agree have literally not had the experience to support their position. I can tell you that as an MD11 LCA, I could easily tell the difference between those that had flown the Boeing and those that had not, and I challenge you to find an LCA that would say otherwise.

Profile,

So what's the difference you can tell b/t "non prior Boeing Captains" and "prior Boeing Captains"?

Last edited:
sandman2122 said:
Profile,

So what's the difference you can tell b/t "non prior Boeing Captains" and "prior Boeing Captains"?

The non-boeing captains can actually hear you when you talk.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back