• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More Eagle Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"It amazes me that furloughed mainline pilots think that scope based on revenue seat miles, or block hours, works at all... "

Right now it is working at AA. That 70 seat RJ is very close to the size of a B717. So AA gets rid of the 717 and gets rid of the pilots who fly it. Why? Because Eagle pilots can give them a plane with 30% less seat at 1/3 the labor costs.

It makes me mad but it makes sense. If they can get someone to do it cheaper then it's a good move for the shareholders. But wait, what's this? Ah yes, the scope clause. It stops AMR from outsourcing AA flights while AA's pilots are on the bench. Is it fair? Works for me, and I'm sure the junior man still working thinks so. If this scope wasn't in place AMR would outsource all of the small market flying to Eagle and even more AA pilots would be on the street.

It sucks that anyone has to take this on the chin. I already have. But it is my belief that if Eagle wants to add to the Cap they need to do it with furloughed AA/TWA pilots flying the jets.

There was a post by an EMJ ORD CA stating that two FO's that he new had received "the letter." I've gone back to find it and that post is now gone.

On another fun note, there was also a link to a newspaper article stating that Executive is for sale, and the Caribbean Star is the front runner.

Can life at Eagle get any better?

Oh yeah, Am. Connection just started new service to OWB, so I guess it can.

I wish you Delta Connection folks would stop comparing our situation to your's. It's different. YOU DON'T WORK FOR AMR, THEREFORE YOU DON"T KNOW!!! I'm so sick of this RJ defense bullsh!t! Put your apps out!! Aim higher than a regional. You're trying to bring down wages for the ENTIRE INDUSTRY.

The issue is outsourcing. Not just at AA, but Eagle as well. What the he!! is wrong with protecting your company's jobs? APA doesn't want to see their flying go to Eagle, we don't want to see ours go to Connection. Simple. Why doesn't everyone get this?!?!?

Solution? Drop the Connection. We grow, don't cap out, more money goes to AA, more pax, slowly AA and Eagle furloughs come back. This would also eliminate the need for the sale of Executive.

I agree with corky. Our new jets should be going to the desert. They just make to d@mn much money with them.

FLYnMONKEYS:

You think that we at Eagle don't have outsourcing problems? You think that Eagle expantion is overwhelmingly into former AA routes? I don't know the statistics on that one, but I'd be interested in the facts. I believe your union has the actual facts on that one, care posting it to support your opinion?

That 70 seat RJ is very close to the size of a B717. So AA gets rid of the 717 and gets rid of the pilots who fly it. Why? Because Eagle pilots can give them a plane with 30% less seat at 1/3 the labor costs.

The only reason AA has 717s is because it acquired them from TWA. There was never any place for them in the AA scheme of things, nor was there ever intended to be. They were dropped because they didn't fit into existing plans at AA, not necessarily in favor of RJs. Although true, RJs are much cheaper to operate because we get paid so little.

It sucks that anyone has to take this on the chin. I already have. But it is my belief that if Eagle wants to add to the Cap they need to do it with furloughed AA/TWA pilots flying the jets.

You think that Eagle pilots haven't "taken it on the chin"???? Probably more so than you guys at mainline.

And I'm sick of mainline pilots thinking that it's their right to displace regional pilots at WO from their jobs. I know we have a flow back clause in our contract. That's fine. But to think that regionals should be a safety net for mainline pilots is obnoxious. As a new hire at a major that's one of the things you risk and give up: the seniority and security you had accrued at a regional.

That said, I think it's better and more constructive to direct anger toward AMR than to either AA/Eagle group. If AMR would treat its employees with respect and honor contracts, then that would be a huge step in the right direction.

This is what amazes me!!!

The one aspect of all of this that amazes me, is AA keeps the TWA pilots but yet they furlough their own pilots. Some of these people didn’t even meet the minimums to interview at American but yet they have jobs, riding the coat tails of TWA into AA. Guys who met the minimums, interviewed and got hired by AA & Eagle are now furloughed, and facing the possibility of being ejected from commercial aviation. Some of these eagle guys were shipped all around the country by management and what do they get for their sacrifice, a furlough letter.

I understand that a lot of those senior TWA captains have been around since aviations beginning, for them I would have made an exception, but no favors for new captains. To all new Captains, Captains in their thirties and all FO’s I would have said hey your company is gone. We can’t put our guys on the street. You can interview with AA or Eagle, whichever one you meet the minimums for, but we can’t sacrifice our pilots for you. We’ll give you an equal opportunity to compete for a job. I wish you the best!

Thats what I say...but I’m just a pawn in the game of life.

Some of these people didn’t even meet the minimums to interview at American but yet they have jobs, riding the coat tails of TWA into AA.
What could those mins be? I gave a 727 SO a ride home who had 700 TT.

Re: This is what amazes me!!!

ScRaMJeT said:
The one aspect of all of this that amazes me, is AA keeps the TWA pilots but yet they furlough their own pilots. Some of these people didn’t even meet the minimums to interview at American but yet they have jobs, riding the coat tails of TWA into AA. Guys who met the minimums, interviewed and got hired by AA & Eagle are now furloughed, and facing the possibility of being ejected from commercial aviation. Some of these eagle guys were shipped all around the country by management and what do they get for their sacrifice, a furlough letter.

Ummm, according to ALPA, there is a much higher percentage of TWA pilots furloughed than AA pilots. Better check your facts.
www.alpa.org
According to the TWA MEC, American Airlines announced the furlough of an additional 61 TWA pilots. The total number of TWA pilots on furlough or with furlough notices now stands at 290, or 13.2 percent of the total number of TWA pilots. In contrast, 595 (4.9 percent) of American's pilots are on furlough. “This announcement stands in
stark contrast to American Airlines CEO Don Carty’s promise to ALPA President Duane Woerth and members of the U. S. Congress that furloughs between the two carriers would not occur disproportionately,” said TWA MEC Vice
Chairman John Heffley. Once the National Mediation Board makes a single carrier determination, “American
management has promised its employees that it will ‘reshuffle’ the furloughs, recalling American pilots to TWA pilot positions, and furloughing additional TWA pilots,” he said.

I think what Scramjet is saying is that Eagle and APA pilots are "in the AMR family" and the TWA guys are not. As far as not meeting the mins for interviewing, I can only speak for my class at TWA. We didn't have one guy that didn't meet Americans mins. I know that we (TWA) have hired some low time folks in the past with quality LOR's but which of the majors have not? I know that SWA (and I think AMR) requires a certain amount of PIC Turbine (as defined by FAR Part 1) But everyone in my class met these mins.
BTW, I am furloughed, too.

Last edited:
You must look at AMR and Eagle as one!

In response to ifly4food's quote:

"The total number of TWA pilots on furlough or with furlough notices now stands at 290, or 13.2 percent of the total number of TWA pilots. In contrast, 595 (4.9 percent) of American's pilots are on furlough."

You must remember ifly4food that they are not including eagle pilots in these numbers. You should know better then that ifly4food :eek: . I went to that site but I couldn't find furlough numbers for eagle anywhere. (A more specific link would be appreciated.) In writing my statement I was lumping eagle and AA mainline into one group. If you look at them as one group then there hasn't been disproportionate furloughs between the two carriers. It may even be the other way around, but without hard numbers I would be speculating.

Another by product of this mess, is that it is pitting AA mainline pilots against there brethren.

Either way it goes I still believe if a TWA pilot was below 40 years old, he should have to re-interview, with no gurantees.

And DIAMONDDD you say that everyone in your class met Americans mins but in your next breath you say "I think AMR requires a certain amount of PIC turbine". How would you know if everyone in your class met Americans mins, if you don't even know them now. American requires 500 pic turbine, among other things. And you must also remember that if a pilot did get hired with 700 hrs tt(I hope not light singles) do you think that they would tell everyone in their class. They would probably say I have 4000 total with 2000 in corporate jets, just to make them feel like part of the gang. " I flew a gulfstream up and down the west coast for a few years, ohh yeaahhhhh. ';)'

Take care young fellows and stay outta my planes wake.

The reason I know that everyone in my class met the mins was that everyone in my class was a Turbine Captain for their respective regional airline. Each had a few years as a captain under their belt. Two were RJ Capts and still two others were Check Airmen. I know being a Check Airman doesn't automatically mean at least X amount of hours as a PIC but even at SWA's 1000 hr min PIC, usually a Check Airman has that covered. I had 4800 hrs and two jet type ratings. I had 1500 hrs of Jet PIC. That doesn't mean that I am an old salty dog but it DOES mean I no longer had to look to see what the mins were whenever I was applying (Except for the SWA 737 type thing that used to be there) Trust me, everyone in my class met the mins.

By the way I personally Don't feel that everyone under the age of 40 at TWA should have to interview with no guarantees. I am sure that most eagle guys DO and I am sure as heck sure most TWA guys do NOT.
DD

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back