More DL Judge Remarks - Interesting...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
~~~^~~~ said:
Actually General is right on the money. The Delta MEC is making a grab for airplanes currently on order and on a delivery schedule for ASA. If ALPA remains intransigent, then the airplanes will still come, but in a 70 seat configuration. Note: These quotes come from a Delta pilot source, so I can not confirm their authenticity, but they sound accurate.

Fins only you can make it like we are trying to grab something. As you point out, the airplanes will still come, but with 70 seats, so we are not trying to grab anything. We all understand that the aircraft you refer to will not come here no matter what. Thats fine. You can fly em at 70 seats, just like our contract says.

~~~^~~~ said:
Well we have ALPA on record trying to redirect a current aircraft order towards their "preferred" members at Delta. This is the same as ASA pilots negotiating 737-700 rates and trying to force the company to fly 737's with 50 seats if they do not use our pilots.

Precisely! Which proves the RJDC point of preditory barginning. Why would it put the "Fear of God" in the RJDC efforts! If anything it strenthens its position. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

Now, if you could get her to preside over the NWA BK process................

michael707767 said:
Fins only you can make it like we are trying to grab something. As you point out, the airplanes will still come, but with 70 seats, so we are not trying to grab anything. We all understand that the aircraft you refer to will not come here no matter what. Thats fine. You can fly em at 70 seats, just like our contract says.
But wouldn't it be better for Delta and the future of your employer for these airplane to be the right size for the market?ALPA already forced an excess of 50 seaters on Delta through their arbitrary scope, something that everyone seems to agree was a bad idea. Now the same is happening with the 70 seater.It would be fine with me if Delta pilots do fly the CRJ, but ALPA must figure out a way to represent all of its members. In my opinion it is completely wrong for ALPA to go into Court and negotiate against ASA pilots. If ASA pilot slots are up for negotiation, then the ASA pilots should be represented in the negotiations through ALPA. Unfortunately the only "representation" the ASA and Comair pilots get is through Mike Haber. And as you know, despite the fact that we are parties to the bankruptcy, no one is there to represent us and our own union is clearly against us.

Ok, let me get this straight, the RJ, the bane of the industry and everybody's whipping post is now going to save Delta? A 79 seat aircraft is not going to save the company. After riding on Airtran, I think Delta should be looking at the south side of concourse "C" for guidance.
I truly hope Delta can turn things around and become a vibrant, profitable airline. I just don't see how a 79 seat aircraft will do that. Thoughts? Cheers-

~~~^~~~ said:
And as you know, despite the fact that we are parties to the bankruptcy, no one is there to represent us and our own union is clearly against us.

I don't believe you are parties to the bankruptcy. The only thing I have found is "ASA Holdings" which was an basically a shell company still in existance to finalize the sale of ASA. Skywest and/or ASA may be party to the bankruptcy, but that does not mean the ASA pilots are party to it. But I may be wrong. If I am wrong, why are you not there? Nothing the Delta pilots or ALPA itself could do can stop the ASA pilots from being heard by a BK judge if they are in fact a party to the BK.

Either way, if Delta wants to right size aircraft to the market, fine. They can buy all the 79 or 90 seat aircraft they want. But to fly them with more than 70 seats, they have to be flown here.

Last edited:
wil said:
Ok, let me get this straight, the RJ, the bane of the industry and everybody's whipping post is now going to save Delta? A 79 seat aircraft is not going to save the company. After riding on Airtran, I think Delta should be looking at the south side of concourse "C" for guidance.
I truly hope Delta can turn things around and become a vibrant, profitable airline. I just don't see how a 79 seat aircraft will do that. Thoughts? Cheers-
Wil: It isn't about saving Delta. It is about pride, arrogance and greed. Notice that no one is focused on International Code Share, or the 787. Delta has fostered an environment where employee groups are pitted against eachother and the acrimony and hatred is palpable, especially at bases like CVG. I think this will be one of the reasons for Delta's eventual (I was going to write failure, but they are already a failed business enterprise) absence from the marketplace. Instead of finding solutions, Delta and its subsidiaries have legions of managers who work endlessly at shifting blame to their alter ego competitors rather than serving the customers. (This is getting a lot better recently, but it may be a case of too little, too late) Cheers to AirTran. One thing Delta employees seem to agree on is that they like AirTran more than they like each other.

michael707767 said:
I don't believe you are parties to the bankruptcy. But I may be wrong. If I am wrong, why are you not there? Nothing the Delta pilots or ALPA itself could do can stop the ASA pilots from being heard by a BK judge if they are in fact a party to the BK.
</p>ALPA is our bargaining agent also. They have written that only they can represent us and put Delta on notice, so technically we are there, our bargaining agent is Benedict Arnold, oops I mean, ALPA.

Last edited:
~~~^~~~ said:
</p>ALPA is our bargaining agent also.

Except ALPA is your bargaining agent with your employer ASA, a wholly owned subsidiary of Skywest. ALPA is not your bargaining agent with DAL.

The twist and turns in this story are fascinating.

We have people from ASA, a company, for all practical purposes, now owned by Skywest, who feels cheated because mainline pilots wants the 900. Seems to me, to make as much sense as ASA being mad about what Eagle flies. ASA is now just another contract carrier to DAL, they get wants DAL wants them to and are not entitled to anything. I think, that if anyone should be upset, it would be the Comair pilots.

Second, we have DAL management being so hotheaded, that they would go so far, as to fly the 900 with just 70 seats, just to keep it away from mainline. The 900 might make money with 79 seats, but with 70, who knows, but it certainly would be less profitable. Why management does not sit down with the DAL MEC and work out a payscale on the 900 is beyond me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back