• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More comrades lost

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is risk in all that we do, these folks accepted an elevated risk so that they could do good in a world that sometimes seems so cold. You can talk all day about calculated risk but when the call comes and someone's life is in danger, sometimes you throw the calculations out and take the risk. That makes them heroes in my book.

TrafficInSight said:
There is risk in all that we do, these folks accepted an elevated risk so that they could do good in a world that sometimes seems so cold. You can talk all day about calculated risk but when the call comes and someone's life is in danger, sometimes you throw the calculations out and take the risk. That makes them heroes in my book.

Not to sidetrack this eulogy thread, but TIS, you've got the wrong idea. Air ambulance is no different than any other flying, freight, corporate, charter, etc. They all follow 135 rules as to minimums, weather, etc., and are not and should never be operated at any higher risk than any other flight. Under no circumstances does it make any sense for the flight crew to risk adding to the casualty count. That crap is only in the movies, or perhaps appropriate in a combat type of situation, but not in any routine civilian aviation scenario that I can think of.

Godspeed Tim.

I used to fly freight with him, and he was a great guy. Not sure if we'll ever know what happened out there, but he was a good pilot and a fun guy to be around. He lived his life fully, to the max all the time.

The single-pilot world is a harsh, unforgiving environment.

Be careful guys.

a link to the preliminary information

http://www.faa.gov/avr/aai/evt20050112.htm#41WE

And the aircraft information:
N-number : N41WEAircraft Serial Number : LW-280
Aircraft Manufacturer : BEECH
Model : E-90
Engine Manufacturer : P&W
Model : PT6A-60A
Aircraft Year : 1978
Owner Name : MOUNTAIN FLIGHT SERVICE INC
Type of Owner : Corporation
Registration Date : 17-Jun-2003
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
Approved Operations : Normal

340drvr said:
Not to sidetrack this eulogy thread, but TIS, you've got the wrong idea. Air ambulance is no different than any other flying, freight, corporate, charter, etc. They all follow 135 rules as to minimums, weather, etc., and are not and should never be operated at any higher risk than any other flight. Under no circumstances does it make any sense for the flight crew to risk adding to the casualty count. That crap is only in the movies, or perhaps appropriate in a combat type of situation, but not in any routine civilian aviation scenario that I can think of.

Then I suppose firefighters only go into burning buildings to get people out in the movies also? There's no sense adding to the body count.

Honestly I didn't mean that you just throw the rulebook out the window, what I meant was that you know someone is in danger and you accept a higher level of risk to help them. Perhaps taking off into weather that you wouldn't take off into for a pleasure flight or personal flight. From what the story sounded like the weather had improved enough to take off at least. Weather may not have even been the cause in this one, but I'll bet it was a factor since any emergency is compounded by bad weather. I know you can do a lot more good alive than dead but the whole thing is a judgement call isn't it? What's legal isn't always safe.

Then I suppose firefighters only go into burning buildings to get people out in the movies also?

Firefighter rules dictate that if a firefighter goes down he/she is priority one in rescue over civilians. The logic being a dead firefighter can help no one else.

135 Operators should never place themselves, their aircraft, nor their pax in greater risk.

Latest resources

Back