• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crjdxr

Delta says decision made, but it won't say who got contracts

BY ALEXANDER COOLIDGE |

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061230/BIZ01/612300361/1001/BIZ

While both Comair pilots and executives breathed a sigh of relief after a last-minute deal this week averted a strike, the Erlanger-based regional airline still faces potential fleet cutbacks at the hands of parent Delta Air Lines.
Delta said Friday that it already has made a decision on what carriers will do its regional flying in the future - though it refused to say whether Comair would lose more jets.

Comair officials have pushed hard to cut pilot and other pay to improve the airline's chances of retaining regional flying for Delta. In November, Delta said it would strip Comair of its 12 70-seat jets and let contractor SkyWest operate them next spring. Delta said the decision on the remaining 81 jets in play - some in Comair's fleet - would occur by the year-end.

Delta officials said the airline would wait for contractors to announce their new duties. Spokeswoman Gina Laughlin said that even if Comair and its pilots union cut a deal immediately to slash pay, that would not alter how Delta awarded the jets.

It sure sounds like things are about "done" at Comair. Maybe that 45-day delay was just to allow DAL time to transfer the flying. Sad.

How many times have they said they were going to announce the results? First it was Nov. then early Dec. and now by the end of the year. I belive they are waiting for comair to finish negotiations. Just my thoughts. Anyone else?

The feeling around here at Comair is that Delta was waiting for the B.S. negotiations to be done. Most pilots feel that we will get more airplanes/flying, only if we cut our pay rates. That being said that is how the pilots feel and not what is going to happen. If we get the flying I am really going to be unhappy. We b*tched out and let someone else dictate our company. I know Delta owns us and that they control our destiny. Comair pilots fought hard for our current contract and it would be a shame to see it go away. In today's market were you have to compete with the likes of Mesa and yes you to CHQ/RP, it's tough to make a decent bid.

From what I heard, the company proposed the 45-day extension. That it didn't come from ALPA. Anyone know if that's true?

not to be overly positive... however there isn't anything the actually say Comair is going to loose flying. They might, but they might not. It is really just speculation, and maybe its just wishful thinking on my part, but i'll wait and see what happends before coming to a rush to judgment.....

Latest resources

Back