• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More Colgan Management Rhetoric From Buddy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA screwed the CCAir pilots anyone who claims differently has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. The CCAir pilots approved a contract by 87% in favor. Duane Woerthless refused to sign it. Those are the only relevant facts. The Colgan pilots need to pay extremely close attention to how ALPA treated CCAir because the same thing will happen to them at some point. Are the PNCL pilots offering insurance against that? nope. Could they? Of Course. If the PNCL pilots wanted to they could waive any right to the aircraft types flown by Colgan. Will they do it? Not a chance in hell. Ask them, they will dance around the issue but never answer.

Do You Want the Real Story on CCAir, Mesa, and ALPA?

Here is the truth about how ALPA stood up for CCAir pilots after their company was bought by Mesa.

Mesa Air Group purchased CCAir in June 1999. CCAir management pressured its pilots to amend its existing Agreement, which was signed November 1998 and amendable in November 2002. The MEC Negotiating Committee met at management’s request to discuss financial relief on five separate occasions during 2001. A proposed amendment to the Agreement was reached, yet this midterm amendment, negotiated outside Section 6 of the Railway Labor Act, was clearly concessionary by any definition.

All of the facts and circumstances leading to the Tentative Agreement made clear that this proposed Amendment was not negotiated in a manner consistent with the Association’s collective bargaining policies.

Many of the negotiations were conducted without the presence or assistance of Representation Department staff nor did they include the required analysis or costing by Economic & Financial Analysis professionals. Management never produced any of the company’s financial records during these negotiations, a detailed company recovery plan was never provided to the Association, nor did ALPA have access to accounting records, operating plans, or other financial documents. At no time did management either document the need for economic relief from the existing Agreement or quantify how much relief was needed. Likewise, there was never any costing or quantification of how much relief the proposed amendment, in fact, actually provided to the company. CCAir was clearly trying to intimidate the pilots into accepting a concessionary agreement even though it was unable to establish that economic relief was necessary.

Why was the proposed amendment concessionary and inconsistent with ALPA’s bargaining goals? Almost every section of the Agreement was modified. Some of the more significant changes were:

? Section 1 was amended to delete merger protection and to weaken the successorship protection. It also increases the length of time that subcontracting may occur.

? Per diem was reduced by $.20/hour to $1.20 with no increases for the term of the Agreement.

? Deadhead pay was reduced from 100 percent to 50 percent.

? Premium pay for junior assignment was eliminated.

? Cancellation pay was eliminated.

? Pay changed to segment time from block or better.

? Turbo-prop seat range was extended to 20–74 seats (from 37).

? 401(k) plan providing 50 percent match to maximum 8 percent was no longer contractually guaranteed.

The proposed Agreement also provided for hourly pay rate reductions averaging 10 percent from the October 2002 turbo-prop captain rates and more than 17 percent for first officers. The pay rates for jets raised the most serious concerns—the rates were the lowest in the industry for 50–59-seat jets at 5.5 percent below the industry average at the time and more than 11 percent behind the industry leaders at that time. The proposed agreement provided a 7.5 percent pay override for jets with greater than 50 seats up to a maximum weight of 85,000 lbs. These rates were 9.5 percent below the industry average for 70-seat jets and over 13 percent below industry leaders.

The application of these pay rates to aircraft up to 85,000 lbs. was a major issue. They would have applied to CRJ-90 (90 seats) and would have been the first industry rates for those aircraft. At almost 10 percent below the industry average for 70-seat aircraft at the time, they would have presented a very significant obstacle for other pilot groups, especially Mesa, in negotiating appropriate 90-seat aircraft pay rates.

At that same time, ALPA pilot groups such as Comair (after a lengthy strike), Air Wisconsin, and Atlantic Coast had reached agreements that set a pattern for our successive “regional” carrier negotiations. Negotiations at Mesaba and the negotiations set to start at Continental Express (now Express Jet) and Atlantic Southeast would have continued to build upon this pattern.

The proposed CC Air amendment, however, was more than a step backward—it would have dramatically undercut ALPA’s objective of raising the bar for our members flying for regional airlines. Even before becoming effective, the proposed terms started to haunt us at various bargaining tables, including Piedmont, PSA, and Skyway, where management was arguing for lower rates for jet aircraft based on a lower industry average resulting from the CCAir proposal. The proposed amendment would have been an impediment to negotiations throughout the regional industry.

Based on all of the above reasons, the president did not sign the agreement and asked the Negotiating
Committee to continue negotiations.

ALPA did not abandon the CCAir pilots at this point. The Association went to federal court and to arbitration to obtain 401(k) contributions that CCAir refused to pay the CCAir pilots. ALPA protected the careers of the furloughed CCAir pilots in the Mesa negotiations. The Mesa Agreement provided all CCAir pilots the opportunity to transfer to Mesa with their proper place on the negotiated, integrated seniority list. Many CCAir pilots did, in fact, transfer to Mesa, and many are still working as pilots for Mesa on jet aircraft that CCAir never flew and was unlikely to ever obtain.

In subsequent years, the Association filed, and won, several grievances:

— Arbitrator Kasher issued a stipulated award on April 7, 2005. CCAir was ordered to pay an additional 17.5 hours (plus interest) to each pilot who was furloughed in June 2002 as a result of the company’s failure to provide 30 days’ advance written notice of furlough.

— Arbitrator Nolan issued an award on July 22, 2005, in which CCAir was ordered to pay each affected pilot 6.25 hours of pay arising from the company’s miscalculation of the value of a day.

— Arbitrator Fishgold issued a stipulated award on April 7, 2005, in which approximately 65 pilots received their company-matching contribution to their 401(k) plan with interest—amounting to approximately $100,000.
http://www.alpa.org/DesktopModules/...ew.aspx?itemid=17002&ModuleId=9065&Tabid=2223

Last edited:
the amount of spin that you are putting on the facts is absolutely amazing. And wrong. If you want, I will post links to the documents and court filings. I am sure you can explain to everyone that they don't actually say what they say. The CCAir TA was reached between the ALPA Natnl rep and C.L. The agreement would have protected the CCAir pilots and ALPA refused to sign it after the Mesa MEC came crying to Herndon.

the amount of spin that you are putting on the facts is absolutely amazing. And wrong. If you want, I will post links to the documents and court filings. I am sure you can explain to everyone that they don't actually say what they say. The CCAir TA was reached between the ALPA Natnl rep and C.L. The agreement would have protected the CCAir pilots and ALPA refused to sign it after the Mesa MEC came crying to Herndon.

Sorry, should have made it clear that those were not my words. That is what the OC said last year. Anyways, what "ALPA Natnl rep" are you talking about? The ALPA president is administrator. He is required to abide by the administrative manual regardless of what "ALPA Natl rep" negotiated anything or who came crying to him.

Trust me, I know more than I wanted to know about the requirements of having assistance of the Representation Department, analysis and costing from the Economic & Financial Analysis Department, company providing financial records and recovery plan, access to company accounting records and documents and operating plan, and also the company providing documenting of the need for concessions and quantify how much was needed, and costing or quantifying how much releif the proposed amenedment would actually provide. All these thinngs, and more, are required before the president can put his signature on the agreement. Just that alone is grounds for any president to refuse to sign it.

The CCAir TA was reached between the ALPA Natnl rep and C.L. The agreement would have protected the CCAir pilots and ALPA refused to sign it after the Mesa MEC came crying to Herndon.

Complete lies.

PCL128 and Nevets,

I'm curious about your take on the NWA FA union suing DAL if you have one. I know it's a tangent here, but it looks like they want a union vote before they integrate the lists. That would certainly level the playing field. Perhaps it's a olive branch to the DAL FA's.

Wouldn't it be advantageous to the NWA FA's to wait and have the upper hand during the negotiations or are they trying to unify the group first? Since DL is the buyer, aren't they the underdog right now anyway? ie What advantage does DAL mgt have by keeping the groups separate? Could DAL mgt just staple the NWA FA's to the bottom? Are they just trying to avoid unionization all as much as possible? I'm foggy on their strategy.....

PCL128 and Nevets,

I'm curious about your take on the NWA FA union suing DAL if you have one. I know it's a tangent here, but it looks like they want a union vote before they integrate the lists. That would certainly level the playing field. Perhaps it's a olive branch to the DAL FA's.

Wouldn't it be advantageous to the NWA FA's to wait and have the upper hand during the negotiations or are they trying to unify the group first? Since DL is the buyer, aren't they the underdog right now anyway? ie What advantage does DAL mgt have by keeping the groups separate? Could DAL mgt just staple the NWA FA's to the bottom? Are they just trying to avoid unionization all as much as possible? I'm foggy on their strategy.....

If DAL management can show that less than 30% of the total F/A group does not want a union they can get the union decertified.

PCL128 and Nevets,

Just read a couple of articles on it and it sounds like the AFA just wants to have the representation vote so that they can have a DOH integration that is called for in an AFA integration rather than to have to do their rightful and fiduciary 'duty of fair representation' in the ensuing non AFA integration that must use "fair and equitable" as a means of integration and in the process alienate the DAL flight attendants which could possibly influence and undermine their vote for representation.

Last edited:
ALPA screwed the CCAir pilots anyone who claims differently has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. The CCAir pilots approved a contract by 87% in favor. Duane Woerthless refused to sign it. Those are the only relevant facts. The Colgan pilots need to pay extremely close attention to how ALPA treated CCAir because the same thing will happen to them at some point. Are the PNCL pilots offering insurance against that? nope. Could they? Of Course. If the PNCL pilots wanted to they could waive any right to the aircraft types flown by Colgan. Will they do it? Not a chance in hell. Ask them, they will dance around the issue but never answer.

I am ex CCAIR. Mesa's intention (yeah yeah Mesa sucks) was to use CCAIR to whipsaw the two groups of Mesa and CCAIR. JO had every intention of dismantling CCAIR. When the rampers tried to unionize, he promised to work with them and make life better. Within 2 months of voting down a union, he pulled the plug on CCAIR's ground handling operations. As for the agreement, the CCAIR pilots were brought to their knees and agreed to that agreement out of desperation to save their jobs. JO said if the agreement wasn't signed, he would pull the plug on the mighty Chicken Chicken. Even if the agreement was signed, what makes anyone think JO would not have pulled the plug? Woerthless refused to sign the contract, feeling it was too concessionary in nature. Just because Woerthless was Woerthless, doesn't mean not to vote on ALPA. MGT won't tell you CCAIR pilots had the b*lls to stand up to Management. To bad they needed to make an example of them. This forced others to their knees and weakened them. IF you do not want ALPA, there's always teamsters or even UTU (United Transportation worker's union)
But to vote no union at Colgan, is crazy. I hear the horror stories around LGA how you folks are treated. And have zero protections. So, don't listen to them when they try to tell you about CCAIR.
I am sad CCAIR is gone. I enjoyed working there and it was like a big party. I am a local from CLT, and in fact, had CCAIR not been overtaken by Mesa (Yep come on folks, Mesa Sucks) I might even still be there today!

Signed J and E's Daddy
Better known around CCAIR as Flash.

Last edited:
worth requoting.....

I am ex CCAIR. Mesa's intention (yeah yeah Mesa sucks) was to use CCAIR to whipsaw the two groups of Mesa and CCAIR. JO had every intention of dismantling CCAIR. When the rampers tried to unionize, he promised to work with them and make life better. Within 2 months of voting down a union, he pulled the plug on CCAIR's ground handling operations. As for the agreement, the CCAIR pilots were brought to their knees and agreed to that agreement out of desperation to save their jobs. JO said if the agreement wasn't signed, he would pull the plug on the mighty Chicken Chicken. Even if the agreement was signed, what makes anyone think JO would not have pulled the plug? Woerthless refused to sign the contract, feeling it was too concessionary in nature. Just because Woerthless was Woerthless, doesn't mean not to vote on ALPA. MGT won't tell you CCAIR pilots had the b*lls to stand up to Management. To bad they needed to make an example of them. This forced others to their knees and weakened them. IF you do not want ALPA, there's always teamsters or even UTU (United Transportation worker's union)
But to vote no union at Colgan, is crazy. I hear the horror stories around LGA how you folks are treated. And have zero protections. So, don't listen to them when they try to tell you about CCAIR.
I am sad CCAIR is gone. I enjoyed working there and it was like a big party. I am a local from CLT, and in fact, had CCAIR not been overtaken by Mesa (Yep come on folks, Mesa Sucks) I might even still be there today!

Signed J and E's Daddy
Better known around CCAIR as Flash.

my quote from another thread a few days back...

"The CCAir MEC and 95% of the Chicken Pilot rank and file had the b*lls to stand up to JO and Mesa and did everything possible to stand firm as one group. With hind sight being 20-20, regardless if Woerth signed the concessionary LOA or not, the CCAir Pilots were between a rock and a hard place. Either way it ended up, the outcome wasn't going to be pretty. Unfortunately, lines were drawn in the sand, sacrifices were made. One of the greatest bunch of regional pilots lost the war."

How bout it...now you have the truth about CCAir. I'm with ya Flash...if the Chicken were still in business, I'd be there too along with all the other great peeps that worked there. Honored to have been part of the party crowd.

When's the next reunion?

Long Live the Chicken!!
Alf

Last edited:
How bout it to everybody's favorite alien.

Colgan Pilots should be receiving their ballots in the mail and if you have not received it, make sure you know what steps need to be taken to get a replacement!!!!

www.alpa.org/colgan

Latest resources

Back