Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Medeco

SQUIB
Yesterdays USATODAY Travel section had another artical about ASA's poor operations performance.

Would someone be good enough to go to the website and copy the artical onto this thread. My computer is acting up when I try to copy/paste.

The Headline read "Delta operations dogged by carrier ASA" or something close.

Maybe Delta will give ASA more money to improve the problems we face.

Yes, that article did provide some bad press for Delta, and Delta must find a way to help that situation. It really is "you get what you pay for." They should stop trolling the prisons for recently released prisoners, and find some people who want to work and do well. I thought ATL was a "hospitality" city that wants conventions etc.... Wrong. Just go to any of the fast food joints in the many terminals and see how fast and nice your service is.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

Well the good news is that ASA does not fly out of Atlanta as much as we used to. Come to think of it we don't fly out of anywhere as much as we used to. But if the bags were loaded on a Comair, Chautauqua, Eagle, or ACA jet then things ould be better. What ever, glad I have another job...

There is no such thing as southern hospitality anywhere around Atlanta.

Our overall numbers are affected primarily by ATL. There were problems in DFW after the expansion but that is being weeded out and there has been much improvement. There are other areas that need to be improved, but ATL has the greatest impact.

There is a good side to CA coming to ATL. They are reporting directly to DAL and DCI about the problems there.

In the past, when we reported a problem it went through the channels to the dept. mgrs. and the exec VP's and nowhere else. They didn't want to acknowledge problems they were responsible for so they just blamed the flight crews, who can't defend themselves, and kept the Sr. VP's and higher in the blind.

Now the cat's out of the bag and there are incentives to make improvements in the proper areas. Our last Ops news letter was the first to address performance without singling-out flight crews. Hopefully, the initiatives they outlined will have a positive effect.

It was also good to see in that article that DAL recognizes it's part in our performance as they handle our bags, special needs, etc.

Our performance is one of the things holding us back, along with the contract (which we can't cave on since we're already under compensated and lack the work rules the other DCI carriers have) and scope agreements between DAL/DALPA. Once these issues are cleared up there will be movement again.

It never made sense to me why the airlines don't exercise a helluva lot more control over the airport employees who have contact with our customers (TSA, Food Clerks). The airlines are the alpha-omega, without us the show stops. The customers pay us and we pay everyone else. There needs to be some serious
butt-kicking from the top on down until we get to the point where hearing "yes sir, thank-you mam" in correct grammatical and clearly understood english is not the extreme exception, but the norm.

And don't get me started on the media, they are more determined after 9/11 to shread airlines at will and no one steps in to say "help the ecenomy by helping the airline industry rebound as quick as possible, stop the bad press or you'll be working in Uncle Nunzios' linguine mines.

General:

You are quite right about the quality of the work force on the ATL ramp, not to mention middle management responisble for them. A few days ago I had a chance to speak to one of the senior people for customer service at the Ritz Carlton. I asked him how they have absolutely fantastic service and attention to detail. He said it's not just paying more money, they do a lot of pre-screening with a personality test. They also have very skilled interviewers who are able to get a real feel for the applicant. For the new Ritz in Jamaica they screened 5000 applicants to get 500 employees. These employees are entry-level service people, but they somehow always have a smile and take pride in their work.

The Ritz in Atlanta and Buckhead really have the same group of people to draw from as does ASA, they make it work and we can't.

I wish Delta would think outside of the box and see how other successful companies recruit and select entry-level and middle management employees.

ASA press

I'm very glad the AJC and the USA Today are
printing these articles. Hopefully it put some
pressure on management to fix some of this crap.
Just keep the bad press coming!

601Pilot

I agree

I think you are right. The last one recieved a good bit of internal attention.

Again I think that the more bad press we get, will get Delta to funnel more money in the areas that are lacking, I think technology could make a big dent in some of the process.

Time will tell.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back