Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airhermit

7500 Total Time
3500 PIC Turboprop (SA227) Part 135 Freight (currently)
2800 SIC Turbojet (CRJ2) Part 121 Regional (a few years ago)

If my goal is a decent 121 job beyond the regionals, should I get back into the 121 world as an RJ SIC, or keep building the 135 turboprop PIC? Neither seems to offer much more to the CV. Both are 'been there, done that'. But what do you think is more attractive to a recruiter at a major, say. Current and recent 121 jet SIC time, or current and recent 135 turboprop PIC time?

Appreciate any helpful perspectives or experiences.

I would continue in the left seat, but instead of considering SIC at a regional, I would look to the right seat in a larger transport aircraft like at Southern, Kalitta, Ryan, Atlas, etc. I think some time in a large aircraft with your current times would make you very competitive when the likes of DAL, UAL, etc begin to hire. Good luck.

You appear to have more than enough TPIC time and enough scheduled 121 time on your resume. I second the above suggestion to try and get some 'big' (Douglas, Boeing or Airbus) airplane time anyway you can. Also, do you have a four year degree? If not, that would be helpful too. And keep networking.

I'd say keep doing what you doing or jump to a company like what the above posters mentioned.

As far as 121 pax "career" jobs your options are getting fewer as mergers continue so maybe jumping to someone like Atlas/Southern/Polar/World ect. may be better if the short term turns into long term. Unless your current tpic cargo job is good for you long term.

Otherwise with the stats you listed you don't need anything else on your resume (maybe pick up some check airman/training pilot time if it's available at your current company) to be competitive in the "major" airline hiring environment - you just need hiring to start at several different airlines.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your replies. Got the 4 year. The heavy time is what I'm in denial about. Got a young family and trying to avoid the 18 on 12 off stuff. I know that compromises/sacrifices have been made by all, especially you military folk.

Most of you seem to favor the PIC time over more 121 SIC. I could use another type rating and some heavier jet time. The suggestion about training captain/check airman is good advice, too. Thanks again.

also think about maybe getting a Master's degree or getting other jobs (like safety) within your organization. I know Delta looks pretty highly at that type of thing and it gets you into another stack of applications. The times look fine.

Latest resources

Back