Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DH106

Just some thoughts:

1) I find it really funny what the traveling Milwaukee public thinks. Basically, they just want their warm cookies: http://www2.jsonline.com/content/forum/airtran-forum.asp

2) I've noticed that Midwest's CEO, Tim Hoeksema, never speaks anymore. Carol Skornika (his spokeswoman) does all the talking. Anyone know where Tim Hoeksema has been with all this?

3) Carol Skornika has claimed that AirTran will butcher the employee base with mass layoffs. Yet, Midwest is the one that laid-off 25% of the company after 9/11, laid-off huge numbers of heavy-maintenance personnel, and finally fired all Midwest ground workers, only to re-offer them jobs at Skyway, at Skyway wages.

4) Carol Skornika is now claiming that Midwest is an icon of Wisconsin. Didn't Midwest threaten to leave the state years ago, over disputes regarding state tax law (maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to recall something to that effect)?

5) What is Midwest's plan for an MD80 replacement? It seems curious that they just added two more used MD80's, when they're looking to get rid of them.

Just some thoughts:

1) I find it really funny what the traveling Milwaukee public thinks. Basically, they just want their warm cookies: http://www2.jsonline.com/content/forum/airtran-forum.asp

2) I've noticed that Midwest's CEO, Tim Hoeksema, never speaks anymore. Carol Skornika (his spokeswoman) does all the talking. Anyone know where Tim Hoeksema has been with all this?

3) Carol Skornika has claimed that AirTran will butcher the employee base with mass layoffs. Yet, Midwest is the one that laid-off 25% of the company after 9/11, laid-off huge numbers of heavy-maintenance personnel, and finally fired all Midwest ground workers, only to re-offer them jobs at Skyway, at Skyway wages.

4) Carol Skornika is now claiming that Midwest is an icon of Wisconsin. Didn't Midwest threaten to leave the state years ago, over disputes regarding state tax law (maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to recall something to that effect)?

5) What is Midwest's plan for an MD80 replacement? It seems curious that they just added two more used MD80's, when they're looking to get rid of them.

Very good observations, let me expand on them.

1) What do you expect from the city that has Friday night fish frys, fried cheese curds, and fat laden brats. I think the cookies have some secret chemical to make everything seem so rosy. Works on employees and passengers. Ever see management eat one of those things?

2) Tim never does the 'dirty' work. Just the benevolent-looking figure head.

3) That really blew the 'we are a family, and your more than a number" mantra they sold for 3 days during company indoctrination.

4) They did threaten to move HQ if they didn't get their way with tax exemptions. Forced Madison's hand on that one. Also has Milwaukee County Airport commission in their pocket's as well. Re: the Hangar buyout when Midwest really needed the cash.

5) Midwest replacement plan for the MD-80's,.......other MD-80's. Even before 2000, they were planning the replacement aircraft. Lots of planning, very little action. Form a committee, research, have meetings. Form a senior committee to validate the other committees findings, then sit on it for a while. Opportunity lost. Analysis paralysis I used to call it.

Look how well Allegiant is doing, and growing. When I started at Midwest (no longer an employee), we were bigger than AirTran. Management there lives in an isolated kingdom. When I would go to the 'cookie palace' (HQ), I'd look for the mural that had the universe, with Milwaukee painted right in the middle. I think it's in Uncle Timmy's office.

Overall great employees, not so forward thinking reactionary management.

I think something that has not been considered is what NWA will do in response to the threat of having a major LCC presence in their heartland and mini-hub of MKE?

I would not be surprised to see NWA swoop in and counterbid on Midwest if for no other reason than to kill the AirTran proposal. From an integration standpoint NWA's experience with DC9 types (they operated the -80 for years) is an easy fit.

Stranger things have happened. The consolidation dance will include some odd pairings no one has really considered yet as some of the smaller niche players look for some survival based pairings. :eek:

Last edited:
This one stuck out. Looks like Atlanta PR to me.

What most of you are all missing in this merger/takeover, is if AirTran takes over Midwest they INTEND to keep it a hub. It would be AirTran’s second major hub, following with MCO, MDW, and others. All of the Midwest travelers will still have their non-stop flights, probably for lower fares! If Midwest is doing enough business out of Milwaukee to stay a float, why would AirTran would not downgrade Milwaukee from a hub? And because of this, the need for employment would rise because as a hub they need training facilities and trainers, maintenance facilities, maintenance crews, etc. No jobs would be lost, just a few titles.

AirTran in Milwaukee, currently, does not give Milwaukeans much of a choice, because they are just a mere destination on the map. They currently operate six flights per day. It does not give you, the traveler, much of an opportunity to experience AirTran’s customer service, especially if you would rather fly non-stop. I’ve flown both AirTran and Midwest, and they both have EXCELLENT customer service! That customer service would not stop if they were to merge.

The majority of the pilots and flight attendants of AirTran and Midwest are thrilled at the possibility of being trained to operate new and different aircraft. As for the ground crews, they should be excited for the opportunity to make more money doing the exact same job, just for a different company.

As for you inter-Wisconsin commuters, Skyway will remain, proposed by AirTran CEO, himself, Joe Leonard, in the web-cast presentation. Cookies? You want cookies? AirTran is still willing to give you that as well. As for seating arrangements, they could be worse. AirTran is the only, and I MEAN ONLY, airline that provides both coach and business class seating on EVERY aircraft.

And please, to all the travelers, please do not forget about the wonderful employees who provide this excellent service for you. Midwest employees have taken pay cuts, and their jobs have been outsourced. AirTran offers many opportunities for all employees and mostly higher wages.

AirTran was formerly ValuJet, yes, but they wouldn’t succeed today if their goal was safety. Ever heard the saying, “Learn from your mistakes?” AirTran has learned and safety is always and will be their number one goal.

AirTran is a continually growing company; they must be doing something right! My vote is for AirTran.
- Anonymous Reader, Milwaukee, WI

No . . . if it came out of ATL, it would begin:

First, let me axe you sumfin' . . . .

Is you fixin' to get yo' travel on? AirTrans be flyin' all up in dere. East Coast, West Coast, it don't matter.

We be flyin' from Wuh-cheetah all de way to Indinapolis-St. Paul!

Yeah!

GOOD ONE !! spilled my Ol Swill....

Its.. min ninn nin apolis.... I think thats how Atlanta pronounces the grand city of Minneapolis and St Paul...

How they gonna fit them cookies in them little tiny pretzel bags ?... Ok thats it... deal is off...

No . . . if it came out of ATL, it would begin:

First, let me axe you sumfin' . . . .

Is you fixin' to get yo' travel on? AirTrans be flyin' all up in dere. East Coast, West Coast, it don't matter.

We be flyin' from Wuh-cheetah all de way to Indinapolis-St. Paul!

Yeah!
ROFLMAO!!

Thanks, I needed a good laugh today! :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back