More Age 60 perspective

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
US Forever

Purple, who ever said I wanted to live like the rest of the world, I was only referring to common usage, much like the whole world uses English as the official language of Int'l flight, we fly at 350 West bound, We use QNH, QFE, etc. This is common usage as will be the age 65 rule when adopted by ICAO and the US. Bring on the higher medical standards also get those out of shape under 60’s out of the cockpit.

Be careful what you as for, you might just get it...and the unintended consequenses that go along with it.

No way purple, at 63my 121 flying days are over. Flying in the wonderful world of 135 and I can continue to fly the rest of my life without medical under the sport category if the need arises.

The FAA now appears to be "Neutral" on the Age 60 Rule” as "safety" can no longer be used as a valid argument against changing the "Age 60 Rule". The usual attitude in the past concerning a change to the "Age 60 Rule" on Capitol Hill has been acceptance by Republicans and resistance from the Democrats. It has been the Democrats who usually side with ALPA and APA by raising the specter of safety and deferred to the FAA's long-standing opposition a change. Now the FAA says that it is "NEUTRAL" on legislative efforts to change the "Age 60 Rule" and concedes that the U.S. is likely to follow the international "Direction" of allowing Age 60+ Pilots in the cockpits of commercial air carrier operations. This is a major breakthrough in that up until now the FAA has said it would oppose any attempts to change the age 60 rule for airline pilots. The FAA's Administrator, Marion Blakey, stated on 7 April 2006:
"The FAA's position at this point should there be a legislative change on the age 60 rule, is that we are neutral on it. We do not have evidence at this point, safety data or medical evidence, to change the rule any more than we have a reason at this point to oppose a change...There is no question about the fact that internationally, this is turning the direction of having two people in the cockpit of commercial carriers, one of them possibly being over the age of 60… I would not be at all surprised to see this country fall in line behind that."
Administrator Blakey made these statements in response to a question following the Administrator's remarks to an aviation conference in Lakeland, FL on April 7, 2006. The question, posed by a United Airlines Captain facing forced retirement was: "…Would you consider making some sort of information public to lawmakers that the FAA is not opposed to age 60, and that if it passed you would have no problem with it?"

Phaedrus said:
cus·tom·ar·y
adj.
  1. Commonly practiced, used, or encountered; usual. See Synonyms at usual.
  2. Based on custom or tradition rather than written law or contract.
60 years is commonly practiced, encountered, and usual in our country. Also it has the added facet of tradition. If we adopt ICAO it certainly will not be customary, nor traditional.

1860-- SLAVERY-Commonly practiced, used, or encountered

1910-- WOMEN DENIED THE RIGHT TO VOTE-Commonly practiced, used, or encountered

1950--SEGREGATON-Commonly practiced, used, or encountered

1960--WOMEN NOT ALLOWED TO FLY AS COMMERCIAL AIRLINE PILOTS-Commonly practiced, used, or encountered

Latest resources

Back