Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CALHOUN

Hey all!

I am planning a backcountry flying/camping trip, and Moose Creek (1U1) seems like the destination of choice. I am trying to gather as much info as possible regarding the flight into this strip. I have found some info on the internet, but would love to hear first hand from someone that has set down here.
Thx!

Have Fun, there is fish at moose creek and moose at fish creek!

I haven't been in this year but you want to talk to Fenn ranger district in Idaho, another guy who would know is Selway Aviation, it's one guy in a maule, out of Hamilton MT. he goes in there quite a bit, as far as i know it is in good shape it actually is pretty busy for a backcountry strip. I like to land the short runway because it has just enough slope to make it plenty long. Where are you out of?

Thanks alot for the info Mtpilot...I will try to look up those contacts. You wouldn't hsppen to have any numbers would you? I am out out Denver, CO. I have read some info about flying up the canyon over some falls (forget the name) Is that usually the best way to get in/out?

Calhoun, I don't have numbers but I will try to find them tommorrow. As far as gettin in and out of moose creek, I usually overfly it real high just to get a good overview of the terrain, after that you can see the best way to go is drop down into the creek and follow it in, works best to come at it from the west, just fly the contours and keep comin down, it tends to sneak up on you, all of a sudden your on a short left base, if you need to go around do it early, it's a great strip really, no problem for a decent mountain pilot, flatlanders tend to freak out and get themselves into trouble. you can go around at the last minute but you would be better of to just dodge the deer, moose, elk, horse, idiot or whatever. Have fun!

http://selwayaviation.com/index.htm

Last edited:
Thanks alot everyone!

I am real stoked for this trip! Looks like a fun ride for sure! Has anyone made the hike to Selway Falls? Supposedly 25 miles? Is that one way or round trip?

You've just made a Midwesterner jealous!

Have fun and bring the bug spray.

I just looked at this strip on google earth. Man, what a cool program. After you zoom in, you can tilt the view and the mountains rise up. You can look at the field from all directions to get a sense of the terrain. Although you could probably do that with Microsoft Flight Simulator as well.

Latest resources

Back