Mooney M20C

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

darien

Anyone have info on the Mooney M20C 1965 model. I'm looking at buying into a partnership on one. Any hints at possible problem areas. I'd like to also like to hear of any positives I'd like hear from anyone who has owned one or has flown one alot.
Thanks,

I've got a couple dozen hours in the M20C and a few in the M20E as wel, so I'll bite off on this.

I really like these airplanes. FAST, and economical. Figure 150 KTAS on about 9 GPH. A real pilot's airplane, really a joy to fly. The torque tube ailerons really make you feel like you're connected to the airplane. Climbs like no tomorrow. pull the power back and you can get 130 KTAS on about 7 GPH. O-360 lycoming is boilerplate solid and one of the most reliable engines made. Cheap to overhaul about 12-14 grand for a major.

the down sides, small cramped cockpit. Fuel selector about the size of a susan B anthony dollar between your knees on the floor and impossible to see. Switch tanks by feel. Some M20's wil overheat climbing on a hot day because of that tight cowling. Landing lights dont last too long because they are large and mounted on the front of the cowling where the vibration gets it. Watch for corrosion in the fuselage tubes. Look out for weeping tanks, although it is a common problem nothing to freak out about. Gear speed on the M20C and E is terrible at 125 MPH and flaps at 100 MPH. not very good for an airplane that cruises up in the yellow arc at 165 MPH indicated. plan you descents and there will be no trouble.

there is no airplane that will get the NM per gallon a M20 will.

please watch the landings that short stiff gear coupled with ground effect can make for porpoising and firewall damage. I always flip the flap lever up in the flare at 80 MPH or sdo ands it settles right in. Mooney pilots call this autoland.

Really a nice plane. Enjoy it.

I'll just ditto jetdriven's comments. I used to fly a rental '67 model with an after-market turbo. I was really sorry to see it go. If I was in the market, that airplane would be on my short list.

Only real drawback other than roominess is carrying power. It's good for trips for a couple with maybe one other (small) person on board with baggage, but beyond that...

flew the M20J model and it was quick for its little motor. I second everyones comments about the noise. Different airplane to fly. Semi odd systems built in. The gear was a little wierd and so was the tail section. Anyways, fun to fly, just really tight fit.

Parts are kinda hard to find. Expect to dig around for them. They're not cheap either. Mooney's doing what they can to keep up. Seem to be doing well everytime I call.

Just found out today; have the exhaust system check. The old exhaust system is no longer available. May have to pay a pretty penny to have it converted. Look into some of the service Bulletins.

Good luck.

Sorry wmudriver, but you're wrong. Name anything else that will do 170 knots no sweat at 12-14 gallons per hour. Which, incidentally, is about 50 knots faster than a 172 while only burning about 4 gph more in the process. The answer, nothing. You are correct though, the R model is LOUD, loud enough for me to get an ANR headset for when I teach in it.

Latest resources

Back