Monthly Retainer...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dhc8fo

Anyone see how I can be on retainer with two companies?

I am essentially a part-time pilot for several places but there are two who want to put me on a retainer. I am thinking that it would be about 5 days for each company, so I know that it is doable, but I can't seem to think through the details...like what is a reasonable way to handle keeping my power to turn down company A if I am committed on a day to company B, etc.

Just curious if any of you have encountered this and if you have any advice or thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

I actually did it with three different companies at the same time. Just be up front with your availability and be proactive about getting your schedule as far out as possible. On a good day I would land in the a.m. in one airplane, fly through the afternoon with another and spend the night with the third company. That didn't happen very often, but nothing like getting three days pay for one day of work! However, I did fly for two companies in the same day quite often.

Anyone see how I can be on retainer with two companies?

I am essentially a part-time pilot for several places but there are two who want to put me on a retainer. I am thinking that it would be about 5 days for each company, so I know that it is doable, but I can't seem to think through the details...like what is a reasonable way to handle keeping my power to turn down company A if I am committed on a day to company B, etc.

Just curious if any of you have encountered this and if you have any advice or thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Let me throw this back at you. You are paying a pilot a retainer. You call this pilot up and pilot states they are not available. Then you would probably ask yourself, why do I have this pilot on retainer? And I will add, in a market that appears to be flush with pilots. That said, it's great work if you can get it.

Get another contract pilot to back you up. Get him approved by the employers. Offer to cover his daily rate if you are called with X number of days advance notice and you decline. Get the other contract pilot to give you a break on his daily rate, or you could offer to cover for him too.

On the odd chance that both of them want you on the same day, then the retainer is a wash, otherwise it is money in the bank.

Let me throw this back at you. You are paying a pilot a retainer. You call this pilot up and pilot states they are not available. Then you would probably ask yourself, why do I have this pilot on retainer? And I will add, in a market that appears to be flush with pilots. That said, it's great work if you can get it.

Yes, you are right. But the flip side is that if they wanted me to be available 100% of the time, they would hire me full time. I am just trying to find the fair way to do it.

Thanks for your answer.

Get another contract pilot to back you up. Get him approved by the employers. Offer to cover his daily rate if you are called with X number of days advance notice and you decline. Get the other contract pilot to give you a break on his daily rate, or you could offer to cover for him too.

On the odd chance that both of them want you on the same day, then the retainer is a wash, otherwise it is money in the bank.

Interesting thought....thanks.

I am in your situation. I contract for several folks and am on retainer for one 135. I do first come first serve, that is once I accept a trip I won't cancel it for some one else. The retainer simply means that I don't have to fly as much making me more available for the 135 pop-ups. Retainer sucks, salary or strait contract is better and the only reason I did it was to help the DO who is a friend.

It will happen where you will have to say no either to the person paying the retainer or some other contract customer and that party will not be happy. People must understand that if you rely on contractors there will be some trips which don't go due to lack of crew; hire the proper amount of pilots or get out of the airplane ownership game.

Can you offer yourself to company "A" for 5 of the first 15 days of the month, and company "B" for 5 of the last 15?

Next question is what type of retainer have you been offered? 5 days a month? 10? Alot of your answers depend on exactly how much flying is being expected.....

In my opinion, you cannot be on retainer for more than one operator. I've been a contract pilot on and off for years and anytime someone offered me a retainer, they wanted me to be available. I'm a chief pilot now and would expect the same if I put someone on retainer. That being said, I would pay a guy enough to sit on his/her ass all month and be ready.

Latest resources

Back