• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Money, or QOL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Best advice my dad ever gave me when I told him I wanted to pursue flying as a career was "If you love what you do for a living, you never go to work a day in your life".

That's fu***ng beautiful man. Seriously. Your dad better not be in a old folks home

With all due honesty, you can eventually achieve both with a flying career, (some)Money and QOL. Just be mentally ready to slug it out in the trenches for a good 10 years before you start to see these come fruition. My contention to those who ask, has always been that if you want faster results, other career choices can be better suited for those returns.

Thank you all very much for your replies.

My entire family works in career fields, outside of aviation. I have oberved family members, as they have taken pay cuts, benefit cuts, been laid off, etc. I do realize that no career can guarantee a big pay check, or long term stability. What each person views as a good salary, or success, is going to vary, but I do realize, statistically, only about 5% of people in this country, make six figures. When I talk to my friends, and family, about the issues in the airline industry, I am usually met with the same reply, "that is going on everywhere!".

I am not getting into aviation for money. I am not getting into it for glamour, nor am I getting into it for any other reason, than I love aviation, and I love flying. I don't care if I fly a prop, or a jet. I am very well versed on many of the issues that face pilots today. My plan in becoming a pilot is not just to wear a uniform and fly an airplane. I plan to become very active in the union, and I will have considered my career successful if I can aid in any way, making this career better for myself, those around me, and those who will follow. If I can make a decent living along the way, which I do believe can be made, as a pilot, than that will just be icing on the cake.

Happy and safe flying to everyone!

well said brother

now, make sure it'll be well done. You're just what we need in this industry. I wish all new pilots had your perspective.

As was stated, as long as you are willing to put up with a long initial journey and a setback or two along the way, and have a backup career that you could get reasonably passionate about, I wouldn't rule out aviation. But you have to *expect* to "fail" and flounder along the way because of the arbitrary way that mergers, bankruptcies, and the vagaries of seniority can spill bad luck on you (and if you get lucky and don't get hit, so much the better).

Another asset to arm yourself with is flexibility- don't get starry eyed over one day working with a particular company or even with a particular sector of the industry (121 airlines). I once had my heart set on 121 airlines only and fell into fractional flying by necessity, but now prefer it by far and wouldn't turn back. Then there's overseas carriers, heavy cargo and corporate too, all of which lately have been more promising but with various different pros and cons.

Latest resources

Back