Money, or QOL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotOnTheRise

This is not another one of those, "Is is worth it?", threads. I have searched, and read through several of those. I am posing a different question. I am interested to hear your input. I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

If you were offered a non-flying job, obviously, outside of the aviation industry, that paid the same as you make now, but involved every night at home, with your family, sleeping in your own bed, weekends, and holidays off, etc., would you take it?

The reason I ask this question, is for the following reason. I have always had a passion for flying, ever since I have been a little kid, like many of you. If you had asked me a year ago, I readily admit I had SJS, and I didn't care about anything but becoming a pilot. Since then, however, I have done some growing up, and realize there is more to life than flying airplanes, and having to put up with the BS and instability that seems to surround the airline industry. I have experienced it first hand, working for an airline, in a non-flying position, and have also been able to oberve it, over the last couple of months, with changes such as the age 65 rule, and now potential mergers. So, I pose another question. If you could go back, and do it all over again, knowing what you know now, would you, or would you pursue another career?

I am set to start work on my instrument rating next week, with the original plan to move straight from that into my commercial, and through my MEI, by the end of the year. I am now seriously considering stopping after my instrument, and maybe multi-engine, getting back into school, and pursuing other careers, while leaving flying, my passion, as a hobby.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
While many will tell you that this industry stinks...I will also say that you will never be happy unless you love what you do and do what you love. If you truly love flying and that is your passion then I truly recommend fullfilling it. Many people work or do something thay hate just for $$$ but are miserable in the process. Life is too short for bad experiences...and focusing on the wrong thing. If you have a plan to make flying your career then consider it. Talk to the guys that have the job you want, get their input and also remember there are a million ways to get to where you want. Some guys are bitter...some don't like flying but do it anyways.

I love flying...it was a hard road but if you are determined you will get the job (whatever it might be). Nowdays my QOL is better than if I had a 9 to 5 job...but it took 12 years to find it. What i do know is nothing in life is easy...and all successful people (like Trump, Buffett, Kelleher, Kiyosaki) will always say that the most important thing is to do what you love. By doing what you love it makes the ride to the top easier than if you don't. Enjoy the journey not the destination. It might have taken me 12 years to get to where I am...but honestly I enjoyed every minute of it even if I was working for crap at pretty bad places.

Best advice my dad ever gave me when I told him I wanted to pursue flying as a career was "If you love what you do for a living, you never go to work a day in your life".

I have a friend who quit flying to be at home and make more money.

ALL he ever talks about is ( " remember the time on that approach into SLC...blah, blah, blah") FLYING.

Kind of like the High School Football Star who now sells insurance...The Glory Days are behind him.

Get here, do this, get the T-Shirt, and then make up your mind.

If not, you will be doomed to an eternity of wondering " what if ".

YKW

Your situation may be different as you are still in the beginning stages of training...there's a long road ahead of you to get to the airlines and you are asking smart questions.

Speaking from a standpoint of having already walked that road, I can say the following...

I absolutely would be miserable leaving flying behind for money or more nights in my bed. I was furloughed once and forced back to the 9-5 routine and it was like working 5 day trips every week. It was the worst 9 months of my life. The time at home is margenalized by rush hour traffic, after work errands, general fatigue, etc...Oh, and those weekend off? Try to get your oil changed on a Saturday afternoon - it will take a couple hours. Do it on a Tuesday like I just did and you'll be in and out in 20 min.

It sounds nice to swim with all the other fishes in the sea, but after you live that crowded life for a while, I can almost gaurantee you'll want the airline lifestyle back. I was desperate for it after just a few months.

Good luck with your training. If flying is what you truly want to do - go for it. You get to live once. Walking a safe path feels good at times, but doing something you love is a satisfaction that many many people miss out on over the course of their careers.

Last edited:
My first job out of school was in a bank. I didn't last a year. My aviation career has been a less than stellar rollercoaster ride since 1990. No chance I'd swap it for a desk though. I'd have smoked a pistol if I stayed at the bank. This is coming from a guy who prays his offspring don't like flying.

Do what you like doing or you won't last at what ever it is you choose to do. Aviation or otherwise.

Many pilots believe when they leave they will find a more stable job out there. This thinking is false, aviation is just as stable as any other career. Take a look around you, less than 5% of the US working population is successful.

two things- you'll never regret flying if you have the mindset of doing it professionally. (You don't want to toy around w/ flying- chances of dying go way up, while your bank account goes WAY down) You might regret how much money you spend- so set yourself up for success and be able to knock it out. Remember it's a proficiency- you'll spend a LOT less and be a better pilot if you fly 4-5 days a week than if you plan one lesson every week or two. The money- don't sweat- do it right & it's the same as a new car- but one of the greatest things humans have figured out how to do. (it is corny- but cessna to heavy we see things noone else does and have a satisfaction from being able to do this well that very few professions can know.)

2- never be financially dependent on the airlines. So as soon as you get breathing room-= find another passion- something else you love (because they're all right in that regard) that you can develop, free lance and fall back on. If you don't do that- then at the very least manage your money VERY WELL. If you aren't able to walk away from this career- your stress will increase and bury your love- not to mention you'll end up voting in ways that screw all of us (!)

Good luck!

Latest resources

Back