Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

twiceskunkeddog

Twice in a week!!!
For the FedEx guys out there... Based on water cooler talk/rumormill...

How many guys who are on-line/relatively senior/established would be inclined to take an ANC slot to get a wide body seat??

For example, when SLC became available, we knew that all the senior guys would go and that some junior captains would bid right seat just to go.

Pure unscientific opinion mining here...

Thanks,

TSD

There's enough movement right now that you can get a wide body seat within a Bid, maybe 2 if you want the Bus, either in MEM or ANC. LAX went senior last Bid, tends to go back and forth.

your training date will be a lot quicker for ANC, (maybe 6 months)

So I guess it is safe to bet that if 50-100 new positions open up in ANC that they won't get completely filled by on-line folks and they may have to fill it with Newhires??

Thanks,

TSD

twiceskunkeddog said:
So I guess it is safe to bet that if 50-100 new positions open up in ANC that they won't get completely filled by on-line folks and they may have to fill it with Newhires??

Thanks,

TSD

Since the company is offering to PAY for the move that might be enough incentive to get more guys up there and not have to put new hires in ANC. You never know though with this pilot group...one pilots trash is another pilots treasure. That what makes this such a good company to fly for.

In the last bid (Aug) there were 11 folks who bid ANC who could have held the MD-11 right seat in Memphis. That is out of a total of 39 seats that went to ANC. So about a quarter of the seats were filled with folks who wanted to go to ANC over MEM.

Will that trend continue? Who knows. There are folks who like Alaska who will go up there, but probably not that many.

The widebody right seats have gone very junior the last couple of bids because there have been so many newhires coming on that they might as well be on the bottom of the widebody seat list instead of the bottom of the 727 S/O list. If hiring were to slow down, those right seats wouldn't be open for the new hires to bid into.

I went from no chance to even holding the right seat of the Boeing after 2 years to holding the right seat of the Bus in 2.5, with the actual upgrade training coming at the 3 year mark. No hiring for a year and a half. Folks are now able to get -11 right seat in ANC within a year. YMMV, but it will probably stay that way for a while if the hiring continues.

Good luck, hope the interview went well!

FJ

Thanks for all the info...

I felt like the interview went well. I felt prepared (Thanks, Albie) and there certainly were some things that I would do differently knowing what I know now. But I felt like I left nothing on the table given what I knew going into the interview.

Seriously, the folks who conducted the various portions of the interview were absolutely top notch!! The HR folks were great. Everyone was forthcoming with as much information as possible (not too much considering the MOAB). And I walked out of that interview with a most favorable opinion of FedEx and it's corporate culture. Believe it or not, the interview actually made me want to work for the company even more than before (which believe me was TONS). The Gucci building with the Gucci cafeteria was cool too.

I just hope I did well enough for an offer of employment.

Thanks for the encouragement FJ,

TSD

Couple tidbits of info:

This coming Monday's new hire class will probably be the last until April, then 60-70 month.

They want to see where things fall out with the MOAB. By doing this they put to rest a lot of pass over pay issues. IE if everybody currently on the property can hold any right seat, then if they don't bid it, there is no passover pay if they hire people into right seats, at least for a year.

Speaking of MOAB latest word is 290 Cap 290 F/O Wide-bodies.

Also they have plan as far as hiring into the right seats. The company plans to "hand select" who they put in the right seat of the mad-dog. They plan on getting around the CBA seniority issues by having a Hiring Pool. They will pull those with heavy, glass, and international experience and place them in an Indoc by themselves.

Also heard that 757s may be back on, or the possibility of replacing the engines on the 727s. Maybe even a 3 engine for 2 engine swap..........

Sounds like if you are in the back of the Boeing and have any desire to escape within the next 2 years, you had better bid out now. I am guessing that only the really senior folks will stick it out.

FJ

Latest resources

Back