• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MN crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First, it is just as inappropriate to look at this and bring up passenger bullying people as it is to come to some kind of conclusion about the pilots.
We are at an uncontrolled field, weather somewhat confusing. They cancelled IFR and may not have flown the ils profile from that point which may or may not have made windshear as quickly evident. Having been in both windshear and microburst, thge windshear a good 6 miles from a single large cell, if you are maintaining vfr, focused on the airport, you can get out of whack speed up, get to the airport to fast, and generally lose the stable approach. Did that happen here will take the aircraft data to reveal, not our speculation.

Quote by Publishers
"First, it is just as inappropriate to look at this and bring up passenger bullying people as it is to come to some kind of conclusion about the pilots."

Good point, Publishers. The "bullying" subject should have been reserved for another board. It was simply pure speculation and I should have spoken my mind on another thread.

You can speculate all you want. You all are trained and told to "expect the unexpected" and given scenarios during flight training. I believe that sometimes there are so many varibles that can combine to create a unique situation when landing in weather that the pilot falls back on his/her training for certain situations, but sometimes, he/she loses. It's a gamble because you only get one chance and very little time to react, and if the plane doesn't cooperate with you in time, it's game over.

This is probably one of those situations that was not in the training manuals. It's just unfortunate.

Last edited:
First, it is just as inappropriate to look at this and bring up passenger bullying people as it is to come to some kind of conclusion about the pilots.
We are at an uncontrolled field, weather somewhat confusing. They cancelled IFR and may not have flown the ils profile from that point which may or may not have made windshear as quickly evident. Having been in both windshear and microburst, thge windshear a good 6 miles from a single large cell, if you are maintaining vfr, focused on the airport, you can get out of whack speed up, get to the airport to fast, and generally lose the stable approach. Did that happen here will take the aircraft data to reveal, not our speculation.

Yup, if you're wacking the throttle for speed on a 1 mile final due to shear, you should probably plan to climb and go-around.

And even with the engine computers operating, those Garretts still take forever to spool up on a go around.

I'm confused. Where did you see that they had stong wind shear and KOWA. I thought I heard a windshear alert given out by the RST controller. I was assuming he was talking about Rochester. I may be wrong but I would highly doubt that OWA has windshear alerting equipment.

You are correct... the Windshear was reported on Runway 31 at RST just after the jet that crashed in OWA was cleared for the approach and cleared to advisory frequency (OWA is untowered).

KOWA does not have the LLWSAS RST does have it.

Latest resources

Back