Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

saluki_63

Hi guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone here had any info or experience with Mission aviation organizations. My wife and I have been thinking about doing some mission work and I would really like to fly for a mission organization. Noticed many organizations require pilots to have A&P's. Is this a must to have to do this kind of work? Would love to hear from anyone who has done or knows anyone who has done this.

Thanks

For some good information see:

http://www.mafrecruiting.org/
http://www.maf.org/

Missions aviation organizations would prefer that their pilots have A&Ps but there is a great demand right now and you might be able to get in without it. Having some bible college credit is another qualification they like to see.

Don't go into missionary aviation because you want to fly, go into it because you want to be a missionary. If you are not called to be a missionary then you will not be happy or successful as a missionary pilot.

TG4JC!

I was chief pilot for MAF at their FLL base for a little over a year. We went through orientation and everything else. My parents were with JAARS for 30 years. I would agree with what has been said, you go to serve the Lord not to fly.

I was involved is Mission Aviation training for 7 years and I concur with the previous two posts

I had considered this. One thing that bothered me though was the requirements. MAF requires your A&P, a year of bible college and a certain number of hours.

If I left my job to get my A&P, that would be a heavy expense and no other employment for 18 months to two years. After going through that, there is no guarantee that you would get accepted, and I didn't want to be an A&P, so that time/money/lost income would be essentially wasted. It seemed that my career options were limited since I wouldn't have had any transferable skills.

Maybe I am missing something?

Guys,

Thanks for your reply's. Definitely understand about wanting to serve the Lord first and fly second. Just looking at possibilities if we do decide to leave the states.

We'll see what doors our opened for us. Wife is still not sure about it so we're not going anywhere for a while. TurboS7 and rnobson I may have to pick your brains in the future since you have some experience.

Thank you

Good luck to you. I'm glad to hear that you are considering doing this work.

My wife and I are contemplating this career as well. If you do decide that you are interested inthis, I have a list of 50+ mission flight departments. Quite tedious to post, but would be happy to fax/mail it to you. Take Care,
GB

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back