Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

xkuzme1

As previously briefed!
Can anyone tell me please, what is the fastest way to get a replacement medical? I cannot find mine. How long does it take?

I know from the FAA website what they say, but I need it quicker than that?

Help please!

Sorry, here's more information:

I lost my medical certificate; how can I obtain a copy?
You should submit AC Form 8060-56 (PDF) to:

FAA
Aerospace Medical Certification Division, AAM-331
ATTN: Duplicate Desk
Post Office Box 26200
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73125

You must include a check or money order for $2.00 made payable to the FAA. The Aerospace Medical Certification Division can fax you a record of your certificate that is valid for no more than 60 days, which should be enough time to receive your replacement certificate. To receive this fax and order a duplicate certificate, call 405-954-7674 to reach the duplicate certificate desk.

If you work for a 121 carrier, most have procedures in thier ops specs for a missing medical or certificate. Usually just a call to dispach and they send a authorization along with the release. Only good for domestic hops if I remember right.

Well...at "my house" we could just call the training center for a letter that would be good for 10 days or so...just enough time for the FAA letter that is good for 60 days...until you can get the replacement.

Years ago, I needed a replacement medical super fast. I called my AME and it just so happens that my AME makes a copies of all medicals. He faxed it to me free of charge.

Years ago, I needed a replacement medical super fast. I called my AME and it just so happens that my AME makes a copies of all medicals. He faxed it to me free of charge.

Just for the sake of discussion.

What prevents me from copying my own and retaining it until I've misplaced my original. The reason I ask is that I'm not entirely sure that a copy made by an AME would be legitimate, although it may. He may do it as a favor but I wonder if you were ramp checked whether it would pass muster by an inspector.

I klnow it's clearly silly, and goes against the spirit of it all (being that you do have a valid copy of your said medical), but I wonder if the OKC FAA would take issue with a pilot carrying a photocopy issued by the AME as opposed to something more "official" from their own Aeromedical Division. Something sealed stamped, etc.

I wanna say that they would have an issue with it - I mean, could you also use the same argument with a certificate?

I dont think so.

The certificate confirmation message when issued by screw sched is issued under authority of Exemption 5549 (I think that is the #) which defines what you, and your air carrier have to do if you loose some mando paperwork.

I wouldnt want to get some Fed's panties in a wad over something a quick fonecall to sched (or maybe your CP) could prevent...

From the FAA 8900.1 Volume 5, Chapter 1, Section 9..

5-195 DUPLICATE CERTIFICATES. With the exception of restricted and special-use pilot certificates, an airman is only allowed to hold one U.S. airman certificate of a kind. For example, an airman could hold a pilot, flight instructor, dispatcher, or flight engineer certificate. Duplicate certificates are issued by AFS-760 under certain conditions and at the request of the airman. Temporary certificates, issued to an airman by inspectors or designated airman examiners upon successful completion of a practical test, are not duplicate certificates. It is possible for an airman to be issued more than one certificate through a rapid upgrade program. Airmen should be advised of their responsibility to return the superseded certificate to the FAA.

5-196 PERSONAL POSSESSION OF PILOT CERTIFICATES. Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 61 , § 61.3 requires that pilots of U.S. civil aircraft have a current pilot certificate in their personal possession when acting as a required pilot flight crewmember. This means that, to avoid the possibility of fraudulent use of another’s pilot certificate, the pilot must be in possession of an original certificate, not a copy. The copy of a temporary certificate issued to an airman by the FAA or by a designated pilot examiner is acceptable; however, inspectors should check all temporary certificates for expiration dates.

NOTE: Airmen may either use clear laminating sheets to protect permanent FAA-issued certificates or have the certificates professionally laminated as long as the airman’s signature is placed on the certificate before lamination. Without the signature, the certificate is not valid.

Even though they still say that the laminating sheets are acceptable, I wonder what they would look like on the new plastic certs...

Last edited:
Well...at "my house" we could just call the training center for a letter that would be good for 10 days or so...just enough time for the FAA letter that is good for 60 days...until you can get the replacement.

I'm don't think you can use copies. It has to be original documents.

Latest resources

Back