• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Missed Approach Flying Technique

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My airline has a requirement to TRACK a runway heading until acceleration height, then to fly a heading.

I highly doubt your airline has any such requirement. Unless, of course, it's a virtual airline.

How 'bout:

TOGA, fly the heading that should be slewed to the heading that brought you down the approach course, i.e. continue your present heading.

At 400' AGL, select the lateral mode appropriate to the missed approached procedure, i.e. HDG SEL, LNAV, VOR, ATC instructions, etc. If you're above 400' already, fly the miss.

At 1000' AGL or Acceleration Altitude (LOA), whichever is higher, select climb mode appropriate to the situation (and aircraft type/config.).

If you fly the miss like you do a normal T/O and climb, then there's no "over-thinking," no surprises. No matter what, Brief It!

My airline has a requirement to TRACK a runway heading until acceleration height, then to fly a heading.

For example, let's say you are taking off RWY 18 and RWY 18 has a runway heading of 180 deg. Let's say you take-off with a 30 kt cross wind from the right. ATC assigns you to fly runway heading after takeoff. Our company technique would be: after rotation, crab to the right, use the magenta track indicator and keep the track indicator on a heading of 180 until acceleration height. Then at acceleration height we would fly a heading of 180. In other words, at accel height, we would transition such that our heading indicator would read 180 deg.

However, our company never explained missed approach in visual conditions. Let's say RWY 18 accel height is 500' AGL. Let's say you are coming into land on RWY 18 with the same conditions (i.e. 30 kt right crosswind). Visual go-around instructions are to fly runway heading...If I needed to do a go-around, would I assume to TRACK a heading of 180 until accel height, then fly a heading of 180 once accel height is achieved?

What is accel height in a B1900D (I'm assuming that is what you fly)? If it's 500', it's not really an issue since you wouldn't ordinarily turn below 400' anyway. So you wait an extra 100', bid deal! Your drift in 100' won't be enough to matter.

It sounds like so many things in this business, measure it with a micrometer and hit it with a sledge hammer.

Latest resources

Back