• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mins Dropping

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you really want to know if there is a shortage, or an excess of pilots, spend about a week reading aviation news, including propilotworld, airlinepillotcentral and pprune.org, and then get back to me.

There are ALWAYS some airlines hiring, and some with furloughs. Those individual airlines have nothing to do with the overall situation for pilot hiring.

It's like saying that London was cold last week, so that proves Global Warming is false.

You're saying then that there's suddenly a shortage? You've got be kidding me. My company (psa) just recently recalled all the furloughs after 2.5 years on the street. The only ones hiring are a few regionals and they're turning people away for having too much time. Take a look at some of the posts on this board. Ill also add that analogy about weather is not applicable in any form to this discussion. No analogy is need here. Its like saying that there's a shortage of regional pilots when two regionals just laid off 800 pilots. I may be off on the total number but you get what I'm saying

Last edited:
Atlas is hiring, and we had to drop our minimums. Southern, Kalitta, Omni, National, Southwest (and AirTran would be if they hadn't merged), SkyWest, ASA, ExpressJet, Compass, Pinnacle, Hawaiin, Alaska, Air Wisconsin, USAir, AAEagle, Emirates, Qatar, SkyDubai, Etihad, Kenya Airways, Cathay, KAL, various airlines in India and China, and throughtout Asia, and American is planning to hire this year, and Continental would be hiring if they hadn't merged.

Salaries for an ERJ-145 Capt are up to $10K/month, Airbus-320 Capt $16K/mo., and 747-400 Capt $22K/month in China. They are up because there's a shortage?

Mins dropping? With some of the quality I have seen of late, this is only the cause of more initial failures.

Folks with low time should really think about their readiness for air carrier ops. Do they really want a failure on their record given the latest Congressional rule/FAA requirements?

The new reality ... if you can't handle PIC qualification (for real, not in your wet dreams), don't apply.

Bob

We dropped our mins, and it wasn't because of training failures. It was because they couldn't get enough pilots applying with the previous minimums.

Cliff, I don't know where you get some of this info. For example:

American- 1890 on furlough
Alaska- 69 on furlough
Continental might have hired, though they still haven't recalled everyone but they DID merge with United-1437 on furlough.
Southwest- hiring from their pool, won't be a shortage of applicants there I assure you.
Hawaiian - ran a very small class last year. Not hiring.

On a side note, I have my app in at Atlas and I meet and exceed the mins. Haven't heard anything though.

Last edited:
Sorry that I was wrong on a few....also missed some US carriers hiring. \

Also, note that AA is planning on hiring this year. Why? Because they will run through their furlough list at a blazing speed....because there are so many open positions, that basically all the AA guys that wanted to are at other flying jobs now, and many of the AA guys will not return from their present positions.

I thought I read that ALL the CAL guys were told they were recalled, or would be soon? UAL will also run through their furlough list at blazing speed. I know two of them here, and neither one is going back.

There isn't a shortage of pilots, there is a shortage of pilots willing to put up with the abuse that the airlines have become at all levels for what the pay and benefits are. Look at Comair, they were supposed to furlough a couple times and had to cancel the plans because they had so many (even captains) quitting, many simply to leave the industry all together.

Sorry that I was wrong on a few....also missed some US carriers hiring. \

Also, note that AA is planning on hiring this year. Why? Because they will run through their furlough list at a blazing speed....because there are so many open positions, that basically all the AA guys that wanted to are at other flying jobs now, and many of the AA guys will not return from their present positions.

I thought I read that ALL the CAL guys were told they were recalled, or would be soon? UAL will also run through their furlough list at blazing speed. I know two of them here, and neither one is going back.

Cliff who do you fly for? Also does anyone think we will see 250/50m by the summer if this keeps up?

Latest resources

Back