Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Goose Egg

Big Jens
According to my understanding, if you are flying a turbine powered airplane (such as the PC-12) under part 91, you may not fly that airplane with inoperative equipment unless the aircraft has an approved MEL and the inoperative item is not on that list. Otherwise (and this is the part that I'm wondering about) the airplane can be flown without an MEL, but everything on the airplane must work.

Do I have this right? I haven't ever really worked with MELs and I'm just trying to see if I have it down.

-Goose

Last edited:
Very concise article. Thanks.

Here's a good one, what if an examiner asked you this? "We assume that class E airspace begins at 1200 AGL over the entire eastern half of the U.S. No fuzzy blue neccesary on the sectionals. So, does that mean that there is no class G to 14,500 anywhere in the U.S. until we find some fuzzy blue as we move westward across the continent's sectionals?"

mcjohn said:
Very concise article. Thanks.

Here's a good one, what if an examiner asked you this? "We assume that class E airspace begins at 1200 AGL over the entire eastern half of the U.S. No fuzzy blue neccesary on the sectionals. So, does that mean that there is no class G to 14,500 anywhere in the U.S. until we find some fuzzy blue as we move westward across the continent's sectionals?"

There is some in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The way I explain it to students is that we are entirely within the fuzzy blue, which is why E starts at 1200' on our sectional chart.

Look at a sectional from Nevada/New Mexico/ Arizona area to. There will be uncontrolled up to 14,500 there.

I belive this came about due to the vast criss-crossing of victor airways so close together, so they decided to make it all start at 1200' for simplicity. I could be wrong.

The guy had in the article had a seminole, and he had an Minimum equipment list. How many flight schools/people invest the time and cash to get one of these?

I know where i instructed/train did not.

Last edited:
Goose Egg said:
According to my understanding, if you are flying a turbine powered airplane (such as the PC-12) under part 91, you may not fly that airplane with inoperative equipment unless the aircraft has an approved MEL and the inoperative item is not on that list. Otherwise (and this is the part that I'm wondering about) the airplane can be flown without an MEL, but everything on the airplane must work.

Do I have this right? I haven't ever really worked with MELs and I'm just trying to see if I have it down.

-Goose
Actually, in order to defer an item per the MEL, the inoperative item IS on the MEL. It will then also tell you what conditions, if any, are required to defer it.

Check out the MASTER minimum equipment lists on www.opspecs.com. Once you have an MEL approved, will also have a "Procedures Manual", but you'll get an idea what an MEL looks like, anyway.

Fly safe!

David

Latest resources

Back