Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PAPA FOX!

Super Bowl bound 2008!!
What has been the lowest temp in which you've picked up ice?

The worst ice I ever picked up was at -28C a few months ago. Guess I got those Super-cooled Liquid Droplets that NASA talks about. Anyways it was nuts...got 1/2 inch of ice in no time. The boots kept up so I didn't call it svr ice, but it was pretty close. I couldn't belive that we got any ice at all since it was sooo cold..but guess you learn something new everyday.

great cornholio said:
The worst ice I ever picked up was at -28C a few months ago. Guess I got those Super-cooled Liquid Droplets that NASA talks about. Anyways it was nuts...got 1/2 inch of ice in no time. The boots kept up so I didn't call it svr ice, but it was pretty close. I couldn't belive that we got any ice at all since it was sooo cold..but guess you learn something new everyday.

What altitude did this occur at and in what type aircraft? Were you traversing a strong low, a well defined front, or in lake effect clouds? Where did it occur? Did a simple altitude change of a few thousand feet get you out of it?

When I first read that I thought FZRA but of course it never could occur at that temp.

BTW is ice really worse in mountanous terrain or does it just seem like it because of high MEA's, fewer suitable airports, and less performance to escape it.

Last edited:
PAPA FOX! said:
BTW is ice really worse in mountanous terrain or does it just seem like it because of high MEA's, fewer suitable airports, and less performance to escape it.

I think that it's probably worse. Orographic effect pushes air upward, going up cools the air, temp dew point come together, more water condenses and forms droplets ... cold droplets...Voila, icing. The worst routes I fly for icing cross a coastal mountain range at a very shallow angle. If the prevailing wind is from off the water, the, moist air is pushed up the side of the range and makes for really nice icing conditions.....nice in the "not really nice at all" sense.

For the 737, we do not use engine anti-ice if in climb or cruise and the SAT is below -40 C. Although, we do use it in a descent regardless of how cold it is as long at the TAT is below 10 C.

PAPA FOX! said:
What altitude did this occur at and in what type aircraft? Were you traversing a strong low, a well defined front, or in lake effect clouds? Where did it occur? Did a simple altitude change of a few thousand feet get you out of it?

When I first read that I thought FZRA but of course it never could occur at that temp.

We were at 14,000 in a J-41. We were doing STL-IND and were somewhere over IL when it happend. Wx was scattered clouds and rain/snow showers.
We were pretty much in the tops at 14 so we were in and out of it. We did go down to 10 and we were still getting ice down at 10...but wasnt quite as bad..not much better, but not as bad. I thought FZRA too...it was definately liquid when it hit. You could see it and hear it hit the windshield and then freeze. When the drops hit it looked like there might have been some ice in the middle. Anyways it was the wierdest ice I've seen.

I don't know if the ice is worse in mountainous areas. I've flown around the east coast mountains a lot and never really noticed a difference. I've never flown out west so the bigger mountains might make some kind of difference.

Hugh Johnson said:
Which Shorts is pressurized?

None of the Shorts are pressurized. Do you really think you can pressurize a square?

:)

Wankel

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back