Min pilot requirements for PC12?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingToIST

What do insurance companies require for a pilot in a PC12? Is all piston, 2000TT and Simcom training good enough or do they require some turboprop time as well?

What do insurance companies require for a pilot in a PC12? Is all piston, 2000TT and Simcom training good enough or do they require some turboprop time as well?

It all depends upon what the operator has asked of the underwriter with respect to coverage. You can essentially get anything insured with nearly anyone flying it IF you're willing to pay the premium.

Once you start getting close to 100 mil. in liability, the underwriter starts clamping down on pilot requirements.

So, you really need more information. I'd say in your case above, if the operator/owner is only asking for 25 m. in liability, a couple mil. in hull value, agrees to annual training, etc....the pilot above could easily get insured. The underwriter might want 25 hours or so of IOE with an experienced PC12 pilot, but I'd say with low liability and hull limits, the example you gave is more than do-able.

It all depends upon what the operator has asked of the underwriter with respect to coverage. You can essentially get anything insured with nearly anyone flying it IF you're willing to pay the premium.

Once you start getting close to 100 mil. in liability, the underwriter starts clamping down on pilot requirements.

So, you really need more information. I'd say in your case above, if the operator/owner is only asking for 25 m. in liability, a couple mil. in hull value, agrees to annual training, etc....the pilot above could easily get insured. The underwriter might want 25 hours or so of IOE with an experienced PC12 pilot, but I'd say with low liability and hull limits, the example you gave is more than do-able.

I think its really unlikely he'll get 25M in liability. 5M is more likely the top, and maybe optimistic unfortunately. Expect to fly with someone 25-75 hours. If the time he has in pistons is high performance and pressurized it will help.

SimCom is the only place that does PC12 training that I am aware of.

Last edited:
I would find out who the carrier is and simply call them. Or try a major carrier like Avemco and get a quote. Good luck!

I was insured as PIC for a PC12 with less that 1500 hours TT and a commercial license.

I had to take the simcom course first and build up about 80 hours of time in the airplane.

I'm not sure if the 80 hours were required. They wanted me to do a trip as PIC and they called the insurance company. I was approved.

I'm not sure what they are covered for. Hope this helps. I just finished recurrent training. It has been a blast so far.

Pay for contract PIC is 500 a day. Don't sell yourself short.

Latest resources

Back