• Start date
  • Watchers 12

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I saw these responses to the same question I had. Does anyone know where it's written, or do I need to call them.

It used to be on the paper application, if they are still using paper. It was in the notes in the flight time section.

It is no longer in the notes anywhere on the app (unless I totally missed it but I doubt that). Everybody I've spoken with online says it's fine. I just added a note stating that I had adjusted my military times by a factor of 1.2 to account for taxi times.

NJA is probably already aware that the mil guys log their times from takeoff to landing. I don't see anything wrong with leveling the playing field with the civ guys who generally go from block out to block in.

I would shy away from using your other time for anything. I don't think NJA is interested in how much time we spend drooling on government issued pillows in the bunk.

Just my .02.

Skyward80

A piece of advice for the interview:

Smile. Big.

Be charming.

I wonder if military guys come across as "too stiff" in the interview.

"The best of the best of the best Sir!!! With honors!!! Sir!!!"

I think that telling a good one liner complete with physical comedy should be part of the interview!

You've obviously never flown with a military aircrew before.

We're all full of great one-liners and such. Unfortunately, most of them are not appropriate for the civilian office.

You don't want to set us loose at the interview. Tales of tail, shooting our watches down while we tell you about one of our many stories (embellished only slightly), etc. It would get ugly.

But yes, being personable is a good thing in an interview. You are correct on that.

Skyward80

You've obviously never flown with a military aircrew before.

We're all full of great one-liners and such. Unfortunately, most of them are not appropriate for the civilian office.

You don't want to set us loose at the interview. Tales of tail, shooting our watches down while we tell you about one of our many stories (embellished only slightly), etc. It would get ugly.

But yes, being personable is a good thing in an interview. You are correct on that.

Skyward80

It's that tough outer shell that I am talking about though.

From the git go, the random civilian guy will smile and be real. We never had SPH4B-AT Ultra Secret clearance or had to put on the game face so that the enemy couldn't read us coming through the

Just remember, in an interview, "the war is over".

If an interviewer can't read you as a person, why would you think he/she could recommend you for a position?

B YURSELF.

And why would you assume that I've never flown with a former military crew member in 16 years of flying? That's funny.

In general, they are spun up a bit tight. (especially the Navy types!!!) I can only imagine the interview where they are a bit "nervous".

Last edited:
HA! You must be talking about our "SAC Trained Killers". I know the type, and I have to agree... they have a rough exterior. Frankly, I like the crustiness, but I can see how it can put people off. When somebody comes up to you and says, "You're an a$$h0le, and I think we're going to get along real fine" it tends to put people off. I think many mil guys (including myself) can benefit from a little business etiquette.

Skyward80

Just remember, in an interview, "the war is over".

Never interviewed with John Dresser at Continental Express, eh? What an a-hole. Three times during the interview (at a Holiday Inn): "Go stand outside in the rain. We want to talk about you." Real professional...

To this day, I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire. :uzi:

The NJA interview was very pleasant, on the other hand!

interview

FlyLow 22,

I feel ike I am wasting my time..so probably I am. Maybe it is just that personality you are referring to which attracts major companies like Fed-Ex, UPS, and Southwest. A few of my friends that are recent hires at SW said the CEO stated he wants a fighter pilot in every cockpit. Its guys like you that will never understand the type of flying we do, nor fathom the experiences we have had. Its a comment like you have made that makes me want to keep flying fighters so I don't have to get out and make $65K a year sitting next to an *********************************** like yourself that is going to take pop shots at former military aviators. Guys like yourself wet yourself at the thought of pulling 9G's or dropping a GBU-38 that killed X number of bad guys which saved the lifes of our young men on the ground.

Tom "Taz" Yeager
F/A-18 Aggressor

Taz,

Being a current military and civilian pilot, I completely understand where Fly is coming from. I am very pround of my military aviation experience but when I put on my civilian hat I leave rah rah elbow pointing bs back at the squadron bar. I know way too many military pilots who have a hard time accepting their civilian trained co-workers and they always seem to walk into the cockpit with a huge chip on their shoulder. This does nothing productive.

You know it is going to be a bad day when your pilot or co-pilot walks into the cockpit and introduces themself as "I am retired LtCol. $#&#head."

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back