military comp for type rating-Cincy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Checks

I went to my local FSDO here in Ohio with a 8710 to get type rating added based on mil comp. They looked at me like I had a third eye in the middle of my forehead.
Instead of going back to them has anyone on here had any luck with their midwest FSDO? I was thinking of driving down to Cincy since Wright Patterson is close to them and I would think they would have a clue about military comp(I will call first). I dont live close to any FSDO right now so driving to a different one is no big deal.

One of the issues my FSDO had was the fact I wasn't a PIC yet in my unit. I have had a left seat checkride though. I know lots of guys who have gotten typed right out of flight school so the PC orders from my unit shouldnt matter.
Can't argue with the FAA

Last edited:
When I finished C-130 AC upgrade in 2000, I was told I needed 10 hours of "A" code time before they gave me my type rating. I went to the St. Louis FSDO. That wasn't a problem then because all people who went through left seat training got an AC form 8.

If you went through the new left seat "flight pilot" program you may not be able to get the type until you are checked out as a AC with your unit. Under that program you are not "A" coded until you get checked out at your home unit as an AC.

Some guys were getting the type rating on the beech jet out of UPT when they first started flying the T-1 in the 90's. But the FAA put the kybosh on that because they weren't technically PIC on the aircraft because they were students. It just like how an FAA student pilot can't log PIC, even solo.

Good Luck.

CLAMBAKE

Sounds like an FPC situation.

If you're not an AC (plus 10 hours PIC after checkride), you don't get a type.

I am an Army guy. Sounds like things have changed at the FSDO's but I know for a fact that down in Alabama they are giving the types out after AQC's still.

If you can find a FSDO to give you a type it is well worth your time and money to do it.

If you have an ATP civilian license, you do not need the 10 hours of PIC. If you have a commercial you need the 10 hours of PIC. Look into how they define the PIC time. I believe that they are just looking for sole manipulator time from part 61. For currency and licenses that can count...not just the A code. From the Little Rock FSDO, they are just asking guys to sign a piece of paper saying they have 10 hours. Does not really say under which part they define it as if I remember correctly. Many outs. Like some say, never let a pen come between you and a job....just kidding....mabye

Last edited:
It just goes to show that each FSDO is different. I had an ATP when they wanted me to get 10 hours before they would give me the type.

Also FAR Part 61 says PIC is the pilot responsible for the flight. Just sitting in the left seat doesn't make you the one "responsible".

Peace, out

CLAMBAKE

Well also you can log if you are qualified in the aircraft and sole manipulator. Or something like that...if they want it bad enough they will look it up to be correct. Latttttttttteeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr

My experince was they wanted an offical military record showing A code within the proceding 12 months. But these are the same people who turned me down when I applied for my ATP. At the time I had around 2500 hours total time, but I could not prove I had 500 hours of cross country. All my long flights up to 17 hours always returned to the same place I had just left and that according to the FAA offical I talked to could not be counted a cross-country. I found another inspector with a military background and he signed me off.

It's the great arguement of logging time for flying jobs.

PIC includes the word "command". Primary time without the "A" code isn't command time. FAR 61 includes "sole manipulator". FAR 1 includes "the pilot soley responsible for the safe operation of the aircraft". Until you're the one standing tall in front of the man if something happens to the aircraft, you're not PIC.

I would be real careful trying to convince anyone that you were PIC when you weren't "A" coded. It only takes one guy on an interview board to think you're trying to put a fast one on him.

Latest resources

Back