Mil leave

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

zackiss1971

Anyone know if you can take a year Mil leave while still in your probationary year?? If so, what happens if there is a furlough during that time? Thanks for any advice.

Yes, you can take a mil leave on probation.

Your seniority remains as if you had not taken military leave.

You can be furloughed, and you will be treated as if you were not on military leave (e.g. if you are in the bottom 50, and they furlough 100, then you will be furloughed, and your recall rights are such that you retain your seniority as if you were not on mil leave)

I've heard some airlines will extend your probationary period for the amount of time that you're on mil leave.

I've heard some airlines will extend your probationary period for the amount of time that you're on mil leave.

Mother Delta does do that. If your mil leave is longer than 30 days, it will tack that time to your probation.

That sounds illegal to me. The law is pretty clear that your status upon return shall be "as if you had never left." IIRC AA just lost a lawsuit regarding accrued vacation time for guys on mil leave.

That sounds illegal to me. The law is pretty clear that your status upon return shall be "as if you had never left." IIRC AA just lost a lawsuit regarding accrued vacation time for guys on mil leave.

I agree. However, as far as I know, this issue has not yet been "pressed to test." It will take someone being fired, after their probation is extended for mil leave, to be the test case for this issue. The law is clear, however, and "probation" is a status.

Latest resources

Back