• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Midwest will Cease all 717 Ops Nov 3, 2009

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RAH no class, basically equal to scabs or worse.....welcome aboard F9 you are now big boys on the street....what are you going to do to fix things

Sad thing for the F9 guys is that they didnt even have to be part of this whole thing. Stemmler and another captain denied the rest of them healthy raises and a bright future for...? I hope they can toe the line and force Bedford to make RAH a respectable place to work-one that doesnt continue lowering the bar for the rest of the industry.

I suspect the RAH pilots are doing what is best for the RAH pilots...That is the system WE created.....If the shoe was on the other foot, I don't see anyone looking out for them.

We don't have a true national "brotherhood"...We have a loose association of independent contractors that have to start all over again at the bottom if they change employers....We created this monster and some of you at the top are now surprised by this system that YOU created.

Would you like to talk about a national seniority list and brand scope? If not, then expect more of this....

Folks like you crack me up. You have no idea who I am or what I stand for yet you feel the need to right crap like this. Actally I agree with some, not all, of your views but unfortunatley you usually slip up and show your lack of class and maturity.

Ummmmm, doubt it. DL RJ numbers will be at around 200 total within 2 years from now from what I hear. I think it is going the right direction if that is the case.

Bye Bye--General Lee

That would be awesome, but the fact is that we are still near 700. I cannot see us dumping 500 jets in two years. Maybe down by 200 to 500, but that would be the extent of it.

To do any more we would have to see a WO parked, and two FFD contracts voided. It is quite possible as there are a few that are up next fall, but it would take a lot of work.

Here is to hoping!

Yes this industry is in the state it is today because of the decisions pilots made back in the early 90's. When Delta pilots allowed Comair to fly 50-seat jets for them, the door was kicked wide open. Back in the mid 90's most major carriers (now known as Legacy Carriers) hired mostly military pilots. The majority of the pilots at the legacy carriers at the time were former military. It was not natural for them to accept a 50-seat airplane on property for their pilots to fly. The leaders at ALPA and APA were among the Legacy Carriers. Hmmm, see a trend here.

ALL JETS should have been flown by the mainline carrier regardless of seats. We will fall over each other to get a 747, 777, 767, 757 or Airbus on property. But we will farm off and run like hell from the EMB-145,170,190 type aircraft. WHY? Greed and a lack of vision and the "its all about me" has come back to haunt this industry. Pilots we are our own worst enemy.

Why are we our own worst enemy? It goes back to our initial training. Go to your local flight schools or your pilot farm pools and listen to the mentality. We will invest our lives in training, but it is considered "PAYING YOUR DUES" to accept mediocre conditions to fly airplanes. FLAWED THINKING! So we are stuck with the decisions that have been made. As long as the next guy benefits from someone else's demise, this is the system we have created.

Could somebody explain the merger process for these two please?

Yes this industry is in the state it is today because of the decisions pilots made back in the early 90's. When Delta pilots allowed Comair to fly 50-seat jets for them, the door was kicked wide open. Back in the mid 90's most major carriers (now known as Legacy Carriers) hired mostly military pilots. The majority of the pilots at the legacy carriers at the time were former military. It was not natural for them to accept a 50-seat airplane on property for their pilots to fly. The leaders at ALPA and APA were among the Legacy Carriers. Hmmm, see a trend here.

ALL JETS should have been flown by the mainline carrier regardless of seats. We will fall over each other to get a 747, 777, 767, 757 or Airbus on property. But we will farm off and run like hell from the EMB-145,170,190 type aircraft. WHY? Greed and a lack of vision and the "its all about me" has come back to haunt this industry. Pilots we are our own worst enemy.

Why are we our own worst enemy? It goes back to our initial training. Go to your local flight schools or your pilot farm pools and listen to the mentality. We will invest our lives in training, but it is considered "PAYING YOUR DUES" to accept mediocre conditions to fly airplanes. FLAWED THINKING! So we are stuck with the decisions that have been made. As long as the next guy benefits from someone else's demise, this is the system we have created.

Great post. I wonder how many of the major airline pilots on here to blame regional pilots for everything bad in the industry, were either too proud to fly small jets and supported passing them on down, or even paid for their jobs too.

I would even add that almost all of us were told at some point in our training not to worry about pay for that first job, just get the experience. I do not know of people in any other field that tells its up and coming professionals to just take any job and not worry about the pay. I have never passed on that same attitude though, nor did I ever take a bottom feeder job. Anyone who tells any pilot to just take a job and worry about pay later, needs to be flogged. CFIs should be saying the opposite, to pass on dirtbag jobs and hold out for something better, and to have some pride and integrity.

But there is also an unfortunate result of seniority too. While seniority is probably the best system put forth so far, it does encourage people to just try to get hired now and worry about pay and benefits later.

That would be awesome, but the fact is that we are still near 700. I cannot see us dumping 500 jets in two years. Maybe down by 200 to 500, but that would be the extent of it.

To do any more we would have to see a WO parked, and two FFD contracts voided. It is quite possible as there are a few that are up next fall, but it would take a lot of work.

Here is to hoping!
Comair is only just finished with year 3 of a 5 year pounding, 14 A/C in 2010 and I forget 2011 to get us around 68 from 179. They can do it, but I don't have much confidence that they know how to. So far 0 for 2.

I'm still confused why they baught Midwest. The company is almost gone, and they can't fight against southwest and others.

Latest resources

Back